Grainy soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alison82

Reaction score
The last two loafs of soap I've made have a grainy texture when I wash my hands with them. It's as if I added exfoliants to it, but I know I didn't. What could cause this?

You should probably soap this recipe a little warmer. Make sure the solid fats are melted and clear before you go on -- they need to be more like 110 to 120 F. Then add your room temperature liquid fats and proceed.

If you don't want the soap to gel (which is why I'm guessing you're soaping at 90 F), then decrease the water in your recipe. What I mean by this is to use 30% to 33% lye concentration rather than the usual "full water" that many folks use (38% water as % of fats).

Next time, please provide the full recipe for best advice -- this means ALL ingredients including lye, water, and all additives. And the recipe needs to be in weights, not percentages. And kindly provide the method. Did you CPOP, insulate, put the soap in the feezer, add milk, use a stick blender, ??? I find myself still doing a fair bit of guessing.

This is my recipe

Palm 35%
Olive 30%
Coconut 20%
Shea butter 5%
Castor 5%
Avocado 5%

I soaped around 90 degrees

Ok thanks all, I'm thinking I'll soap at a higher temp next time and see if that works.

Latest posts

Back