Grainy batter - is this going to separate??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not happy! Have used this delicious fragrance before without this occurring. It’s super grainy, not quite like ricing, more like grits. There are a few pieces of solidified ‘soap’ in there.
I’ve put it in the oven for CPOP but I’m scared it’s gonna separate. I’ve never seen this before and now I’m in my 4th year of soaping!
3E077E3E-DC5D-4661-9D48-DE4E8AD67983.jpeg1031F4AB-88BC-428C-A468-CF46100B6FA2.jpeg8B99D501-45B6-4029-9316-12493117DC5D.jpeg
first pic is in the bowl, next two are in the mold.

I don't know if it will separate either, but I don't think grainy automatically means separation. Was it a new bottle of FO by any chance? I think some fragrance oils have been reformulated to keep the usage rate the same (or approximately) for the new IFRA guidelines. But, I can't remember where I read that - although it was undoubtedly on the internet so it must be true 🤣

I don't know if it will separate either, but I don't think grainy automatically means separation. Was it a new bottle of FO by any chance? I think some fragrance oils have been reformulated to keep the usage rate the same (or approximately) for the new IFRA guidelines. But, I can't remember where I read that - although it was undoubtedly on the internet so it must be true 🤣
It was a newly opened bottle. The previous time it did accelerate a wee bit but I didn't see anything like this. The good news is - it seems to have finished gel phase now and it it is still solid - not separated. Fingers crossed for the cut tomorrow.

Not happy! Have used this delicious fragrance before without this occurring. It’s super grainy, not quite like ricing, more like grits. There are a few pieces of solidified ‘soap’ in there.
I’ve put it in the oven for CPOP but I’m scared it’s gonna separate. I’ve never seen this before and now I’m in my 4th year of soaping!
View attachment 65094View attachment 65095View attachment 65096
first pic is in the bowl, next two are in the mold.

FYI - the fragrance is Red Ginger Saffron from Candle Science. Most of the reviews state that it seizes, but their own 'soap performance' statement says it slows trace. I'll tell you what though - this is a divine smell! I would have been quite happy to use all these bars myself if the soap didn't turn out very well.

Latest posts

Back