Grades of Olive Oil - USDA Standards

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Last edited:
I already provided a link to this USDA standard in this thread -- https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/is-a-failed-clarity-test-actually-a-problem.77559

The information on page 13 of this standard is not what you apparently think it is.

I suspect you're looking at the line titled "(s) Unsaponifiable Matter, g/kg" and seeing the numbers 15 and 30. These numbers are not in percent, meaning parts per hundred. These numbers are in units of grams per kilogram, which is parts per thousand.

15 g/kg and 30 g/kg when translated to weight percent are 1.5% and 3.0%. Both are within or close to the typical range for unsaponifiable content for other typical soaping fats as I showed in the other thread.

Again, provide a reputable reference that "...olive oil is also high in unsaponifiables..." as you keep claiming. This USDA reference supports my point of view, not yours.

Correct. We're on the same page. ;) I purposely left that to you to point out as I knew you would. Since I use pomace olive oil I now know it contains 3% unsaponifiables. Thank you.
Thank You.gif

Last edited:
You're welcome. It's been a distinct pleasure to clarify this point so others can be better informed.

Back