Grades of oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephera

Reaction score
Hi just wanted to get feedback of the different grades of oils used and whether it makes a difference?

Refined Oil is the cheapest
Organic Refined
Unrefined vs refined butters
Virgin Cold pressed
Organic Virgin Cold Pressed this most expensive.

I would only use organic virgin cold press on the face but what about soaping does it matter with different grades as it's a wash off product.

It really depends on what you, and if you sell, your customers want.
Do you want to use only organic oils in your soap?
Do you believe substances in oils and qualities of oils can transfer to your skin after saponification?

You have to decide what you believe and what is important to you.

Depends on affordability as well. For example 1L of Refined Avocado cost $15. 100ml Avocado extra virgin cold pressed is $11. So I might add the lather as a SF in hot process knowing I would get the benefits. And use the cheaper in a bigger percentage knowing it would be saponified?

Can someone explain why refined oil is cheaper than cold pressed when there has been more work done to process it?

Can someone explain why refined oil is cheaper than cold pressed when there has been more work done to process it?

With olive oil the cold pressed oil is the really good quality fruits that go into the process. the refined stuff is all the average and less than average fruits that go through the process. Sorta like prime cut steak vs mince meat I guess

Back