Got my TOG cutter!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sholdy

Reaction score
I got my tog cutter yesterday and cut 6 loaves that were waiting.
Man, it is awesome!
It is so wonderful to cut an entire loaf uniformly in seconds!

Thanks, Paul. :D

You gotta admit Paul is a real woodworking genius!!! :D

il_430xN.28004241.jpg

I'm probably gonna build my own and you can be damned sure it won't be as purty as Paul's but it'll get the job done. I'd always rather spend 100 hours of labor to save 50 dollars of cost. I'm a contrarian! :p

I live in Canada, and the first time Paul sent it, it got stuck in customs and then returned to him!

When he found out it was being returned, he went to work to make me another cutter and sent it speed mail - no extra charge!!

Thanks so much, Paul, I appreciate everything! Not many - not many at all - would go so far to ensure happy customers.

You rock!

stupid question of the week award...........

ok, I know that there is really "no such thing as a stupid question", but, not knowing ANYTHING makes me feel really...................not bright!! :-(

I can tell from the posts and the pictures that this contraption (beautifully constructed, from what I can see) is for cutting the finished loaf.

What I cannot figure out is how it works.................. Do you use a big knife or a wire or something that I haven't thought of yet? Looks like a wizz-bang thing to have on hand when that first batch of soap gets ready to be cut, so how would one obtain said contraption??

Will the real Paul..............please..............STAAAAAAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy, that dates me, doesn't it??? (To Tell the Truth--on a black and white tv with only 4 broadcasting channels...........)

thanx oodles for any help,

Della :)

PS~~how cool is that???? I knew all along hw to use the little yellow faces and never knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

No. 1? or No. 2? or Number 3.....The real Paul (TOG--AKA The Ole Goat) is Number2! I show my age also! :lol:

Thanks for the warm words Sholdy. I did get it back this week! :roll:

I sell a lot of this TOG 8 Wire Log Cutter! Just go to my Etsy store, look up this cutter and you'll see how it works. www.togsoapmolds.etsy.com

Here are 2 pics to help you understand;

DSCF3167-1.jpg

cutter2.jpg

You place the log into the cutter to the stop block, and close the cutter with the stainless steel wires down on the log, letting the cutter cut 8 bars at once! :)

Paul

Paul
Are you still inscribing a beautiful dedication on the bottom of your TOG cutters? I cherish mine and this week put it to good work with seven batches - good, clean cuts, but I need a replacement wire. Do I order that through your esty site?
Thanks.
TAS

Della,
Here is a (not a very good) picture of Paul's cutter hard at work.

img5039qn7.jpg
[/url][/img]

TAS

Hi T! :D So very good to hear from an old friend! Sweet! :) How many wires do you need, a whole set? PM me and I'll get what you need headed your way! That is my second design style 8 wire cutter. The new third design is even stronger! I use tuning keys now too. Thanks TAS for showing your cutter in action! :wink: I am thinking about cutting back on as many mold styles I have, focus on one slab style and one log style, and this cutter, my econo blade cutter, and my beveler/planer.

Beautiful logs as usual TAS. Nice hearing from you and checking in to our forum. I've seen you around a few forums lately, but have not had the chance to say "HI!" :D

Paul :wink:

Paul
PM on the way with my order. I have to say that if the day ever comes to upgrade you will hear from me. So far so good - cuts really well and saves me a lot of time.

Have not been "doing the forums too much" - had not been soaping since January due to health issues. It is sooooooo good to get back to soaping.

Later,
TAS

First of all, TAS, thanx EVERSO :D for that informative pic you posted for me! It certainly tells the story of a well used and well loved contraption!

Second, Paul, I have a pic that I sort of stole from another etsy soaper, but I didn't know how else to get the image (so if the owner of that image happens to see this, I promise with my whole heart that I didn't have any nefarious(?) uses planned for your pic, just desperation) :oops:

Now if I can figure out how to upload the image into this little note-ski, I will ask you if you are casually or intimatly aquainted with this little wonder, and if you could make me one if I asked politely...................and offered to pay, of course.............. :p

We pause for a station identification...................... :lol:

I think success is within my grasp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO-HOOOOO!! :D

ok, maybe not................................... RATS!!!! :x

Well, I imagine this isn't going to be the last time I have to ask for a little rescue................... HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!! :oops:

I really do need one of these cutter thingies and Paul seems to do WIZZ-BANG work, so NATCH I would want him to do it if possible. Maybe if Paul could just float me his email address, then I can DEFINATLY send him the image, because I actually KNOW how to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hi Paul,

Got a question about this type of cutter.

I'm finding that with my blade cutter that when it gets to the bottom of the cut that the blade deflects a little in the middle and creates a small curve.

How do the wires stack up? do they give you a straight cut or do they wander a little because they are so thin?

Hope this makes sense.

crazyk said:
Hi Paul,

Got a question about this type of cutter.

I'm finding that with my blade cutter that when it gets to the bottom of the cut that the blade deflects a little in the middle and creates a small curve.

How do the wires stack up? do they give you a straight cut or do they wander a little because they are so thin?

Hope this makes sense.

CrazyK, I use stainless steel cutting wires on my TOG 8 wire cutter. The extreme tension they are under, as tight as a guitar string, makes clean, smooth cuts on the face of the 8 bars that are cut each time. You can tune the wires to a "note" as played on a guitar, to keep them taught. They do not waver side to side, and I place them exactly evenly spaced. It takes about 5 hours to build one of these cutters since alignment is paramount to longevity of the machine and true cuts. I have always used some form of tensioner; now I use the tuning keys.

If you have any more questions ask away and I'll get you an answer pronto!

Paul
TOG Soapmaking Tools

Back