Got goat? Recipes that is...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Okay, GM soap is just soap with some or all of the liquid made with goat milk, or it's a recipe dressed up by adding GM powder.

But what oils do you use? I'm sure there's plenty of recipes and I wonder if you are willing to share yours.

Here's my recipe: It's just a modified Castile with OO, CO and PO, in that order, and a slight kicker of Castor. I just love what Castor does to the lathering! :)

No colorant, because who'd want to color their goat when there's a casual competition going on who can make the lightest goat? :)

(Actually I'm tempted to cut out a portion, color it with TiO2, then swirl it back in.)

My FO wasn't that hot so I won't mention it. Chalk it up to things I won't try again.

So does anybody else want to share their GM recipe?

I don't know if I can find my old GM recipe. I'll try to look around when I have time. I've only used GM in place of water.

However, I do remember that my all time favorite recipe included GM, cocoa butter and vanilla scent. OMG!! It smelled like I was baking brownies for DAYS.

I've been thinking of using Dreamsicle in GM soap. :) Vanilla and orange too!

Just adding, I don't want anybody to reveal their secret recipes. If you feel like adding yours, just the oils in proper order of most-least would satisfy my curiosity.

I make an all olive and GM castile soap scented with lemon, rosemary, and lavender EO that sells very well. In GM regular soap I use palm, coconut, soy, safflower, and almond oils.

goat's milk

Hi,
I've never used GM. Is it ok to use canned GM? Can I do 1/2 water 1/2 GM?
Thanks. I'm anxious to try it!
Opalgirl

Opal, I've read where people have used all of those. In fact if you're going half and half, add the lye to the water half (be very careful with this strong lye solution) and then when you add your lye to your oils, very quickly add the milk at the same time. Do this and you'll avoid burning your milk in the lye. I've described it in greater detail in my post "Finally got my goat."

I've read that canned GM is already a light tan color, probably due to the cooking in the can process that takes place for canned GM.... So if color is an issue, this is something to keep in mind.

Personally, I haven't started experimenting with any GM yet.

I love goat milk in soap. I don't have a special GM recipe, though. I just add it to whatever recipe I happen to be making at any given moment. For what it's worth, it's worked great in every recipe I've ever made it with so far. It lends a nice creaminess, or 'body' to the lather.

I use the fresh kind that one can find in a carton in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Meyenburg makes it. They also make the canned and powdered, too, but I really like using their fresh the best. It makes a nice, very light, off-white colored soap, and the manner in which I add it gives off no ammonia fumes at all.

I use it at 1/3 of my liquid amount and add it at room temperature (yes, you heard right- at room temperature) to my batch just after my lye/water mixture has been mixed with the oils/fats. It's easy peasy, works great, and even at only 1/3 of my liquid amount I feel a very nice and creamy difference in my soap.

IrishLass

I use the fresh Meyenburg too. More expensive than cow's milk but fresh and readily available 3 blocks from home. :)

SoapyGal said:
I've read that canned GM is already a light tan color, probably due to the cooking in the can process that takes place for canned GM.... So if color is an issue, this is something to keep in mind.

Personally, I haven't started experimenting with any GM yet.

That would be the Meyenburg canned evaporated goat milk. I used to use that before I moved back to Missouri and started getting raw milk from a goat dairy farmer. With the evaporated GM, you need to add equal amount of water to reconstitute it. It is a very tan colour out of the can, and does stay darker even if you reconstitute it. The quart size fresh GM that

IrishLass uses is the next best thing to the farm fresh raw GM like I use. It is nice and white, tastes great too. :D :lol: Wal-Mart Super Centers usually sell it in the milk area of the refrigerated area, next to the soy milks and chocolate milks in quart containers.

Paul :wink:

Soapmaker Man said:
It is nice and white, tastes great too. :D :lol:
Paul :wink:

Don't I know it! I have to share the carton with my son whenever I buy it. :lol: He drinks it, and I soap it........... although I'm not averse to downing a little bit of it myself at times in between batches. :wink: It really is delicious. I've tried drinking the canned and the reconstituted powder kind before, and all I can say about the palatability of those two is, 'Blech!" The refrigerated kind is light-years better in comparison. You must be spoiled with that fresh, raw GM, though. I bet it's awesome, you lucky dog, you.

IrishLass

Latest posts

Back