Got Conned Today :-)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks ridiculous but I wear an old pair of swim goggles when I chop onions. I don't mind the tears but my eyes start stinging and that is quite unpleasant.

Yum! I hate cutting onions... I usually just chop them into quarters then pulse them in the food processor. Much quicker and less tear-inducing.
You lose to much flavor when putting them in a food processor. When I first started making them I did use a processor but soon learned my MIL was correct and they lost to much flavor. The filling of my grape leaves is onions, rice, cinnamon, allspice and few otherspices

I love stuffed grape leaves but have never made them from scratch. I wish I could taste yours Carolyn . . . you know for quality control purposes ;)
Chances are you will never find any like mine. My hubby laughs because I tend to buy grape leaves everytime I find some new ones and never had any that are better. My hubby will not eat any others. What it is no one else seems to use is the cinnamon, and allspice in their seasoning, which is how my MIL taught me. This is how her mom and grandma made them. I think it is regional to where my husbands grandma and great grandma grew up, but he does not remember were. I vaguely remember his mom mentioning Turkey but not sure, I just know some of her family was displaced to Turkey. The allspice seems to bring out the flavor of the grape leaf. These we eat room temp or cold.

Yum! I found some jarred grape leaves after you last posted about your dolmas but I still haven't attemped to make any. Hmmm, I wonder if I can find that thread again - there were some good tips!
If you want the recipe I can send you the recipe. Or at least the starting point for the recipe :)

I bet your sinuses are all clear! 5 lbs of onions?? You will be stuffing grape leaves forever! How many are you Making? Sounds delicious!
It only makes 90-100. For the holidays I usually make 300, although last Christmas everyone was sic for Christmas so no grape leaves or dinner

Back