Got carried away and look what happened!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got all excited from reading the salt bars thread so thought I'd make a red Christmas salt log in my pvc pipe to keep for 6 months till Christmas.
Not all went well................. (sorry about the huge photo)
GetAttachmentThumbnail

I used 80% coconut
20% SAO
Superfatted to 20% Lye concentration 33%
Added 30% cheese salt (no iodine apparently) *** NO - I just realised I added 50% :beatinghead:

Christmas Kitchen fragrance oil and red micas - tried for a 2 tone red and got a two tone orange.

What do I do with it? Carve orange salty rocks (that have a nice Christmas scent)............. Rebatch???.... Bin?

:smallshrug:

Soapy sprinkles?

I single mold my salt bars, I tried in a larger mold a few times and had to cut while it was SO hot!

Did you wait too long to cut?

When I had a similar problem with my brine soap I walked away from them in frustration and came back with my dough cutter and started shaving them. I wasted a lot on flakes and shavings but I still got 5 uneven bars out of 6, and I'm gonna use the small pieces for confetti soap.

Salt soap might be more crumbly than flakey though, so I guess those you can mix with the powderized soap in the oils in your next batch and make new soap.

Or shape them into rocks? Still usable and might be cute.

I don't mind rebatching but most think it's a pain lol

Thanks Maya and Dawni.
Single molds from now on.......... I like the sprinkles/confetti idea. Would it work with salty bits inside a 'normal' loaf as long as I didn't put too much in? The solid bits have been shaved and scraped into interesting shapes. :thumbs:

Thanks Maya and Dawni.
Single molds from now on.......... I like the sprinkles/confetti idea. Would it work with salty bits inside a 'normal' loaf as long as I didn't put too much in? The solid bits have been shaved and scraped into interesting shapes. :thumbs:
Show us! Hehehe

Salty soap inside normal soap should be ok? It'll make interesting textures for sure.. Or you can decorate the tops with it, salty sprinkles! Whichever way you go, I'm excited to see it :)

Love them. All of them. Even the first one! I think they're cute.

A lot of people do confetti with a plain white base. I have colorful crumbs too, was actually thinking of black..

@Jeboz Love your roses! How do you make them?
Lovley spring soaps .
Salt bars turns out pretty good after shaving :)
They can be very tricky, so as others have mentioned, individual molds are far better option.

that is exactly what happened to me the first time i made salt bars, cept mine were a gnarly grey color rather than a pretty red :D ahhh i feel your pain
even though they werent what you had intended- they will still be lovely to use!

Wow, your Easter soaps look amazing! Added the picture to my inspirational soap images collection! (Most of it is @KiwiMoose's ;)). One day I will make beautiful nice-looking soap. And I've just attempted a salt bar recipe myself, fortunately with individual moulds although I am hoping to cut them in half to be handsoap-sized. I'd better check them again. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
View attachment 37326
This worked for me yesterday so I feel better today. Just need to wait until Easter.
These are drying happily for my great nieces as well............... View attachment 37327 Just a little bit over the top :)
beautiful--your nieces are going to love the cupcakes but the colors in the soap are very pretty and the tops are gorgeous.

Love them. All of them. Even the first one! I think they're cute.

A lot of people do confetti with a plain white base. I have colorful crumbs too, was actually thinking of black..
Or if you can't decide...
IMG_2754.jpeg

@Jeboz - that soap with the roses on top is just Beautiful! Are they mica lines?

@Jeboz Love your roses! How do you make them?
Lovley spring soaps .
Salt bars turns out pretty good after shaving :)
They can be very tricky, so as others have mentioned, individual molds are far better option.
Using soap dough - I think I used Nancy's Garden recipe with tallow - I coloured it 3 ways and wrapped it for a week or so. It wasn't that hard to make and it made a nice consistency that didn't need any cornflour to work it. I also had soapy bits which I had wrapped up as well and used.

Last edited:
Or if you can't decide...
View attachment 37335
@Jeboz - that soap with the roses on top is just Beautiful! Are they mica lines?

I love the black with confetti - is it yours KiwiMoose?
Yes they are mica lines - I have to hope they don't split. I also did some gold in oil and drizzled but it seems to have disappeared. I didn't use much cause I thought the layers would just slip off each other!

that is exactly what happened to me the first time i made salt bars, cept mine were a gnarly grey color rather than a pretty red :D ahhh i feel your pain
even though they werent what you had intended- they will still be lovely to use!

They feel really nice and solid already except where the salt is a bit crumbly. Nice of you to call them red (which they were supposed to be). The Christmas fragrance is holding up well so far - bet if it had turned out red the fragrance would have gone. There's a lot of one step forward, two steps back with soaping I have found. :)

Wow, your Easter soaps look amazing! Added the picture to my inspirational soap images collection! (Most of it is @KiwiMoose's ;)). One day I will make beautiful nice-looking soap. And I've just attempted a salt bar recipe myself, fortunately with individual moulds although I am hoping to cut them in half to be handsoap-sized. I'd better check them again. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks KiwiSoap - I have a lot of soaps that are not shareable (except with family and friends). You may need a hacksaw to cut the bar in half ;)

Haha, it's all part of the experience, and you've clearly wrapped up some brilliant experiences as well! Luckily I managed to cut my bars Ok (was only 90 minutes after moulding), but they didn't come out as cleanly as my soaps in individual moulds which I left longer. Learning!

I love the black with confetti - is it yours KiwiMoose?
Yes they are mica lines - I have to hope they don't split. I also did some gold in oil and drizzled but it seems to have disappeared. I didn't use much cause I thought the layers would just slip off each other!
Yes - I just figured that i had quite a bit of white or pale coloured offcuts to use up, so why would i use it in a white soap when you would hardly see it? So I split it into two 'lots' and used the paler lot in the black, and the brighter one in the white.

Back