Gooey Oil Pockets?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AncientKat

Reaction score
Hello All!
I have just cut my soap and it has oil oozing out?? I've explored the internet, but can't find a definitive answer. I am hoping someone here may have an answer for me. I soaped just as normal, buuuuut did it outside. I am thinking maybe it was too hot to soap? Is that possible? My oil mixture was at 92 and my lye mixture was at 99. It is goat milk soap if maybe that makes a difference and the frozen milk melted very quickly in the lye as compared to doing it inside. There's pooling on top of the bars as you can sort of see in the overhead picture and most every bar has a little pocket of goo like in the individual bar picture. The goo is very oily and has a slight orange tint possibly from the essential oils or annatto infused olive oil.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_170105408.jpg
    IMG_20200706_170105408.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200706_173657815.jpg
    IMG_20200706_173657815.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 25
Sorry that happened, its a lot of soap to rebatch.
I would be tempted to let it cure and see what the goop does and do some testing to see if there is any lye crystals in there.
Alternatively, you could cut out the goopy spots and use the soap with a hole in it.

Sorry that happened, its a lot of soap to rebatch.
I would be tempted to let it cure and see what the goop does and do some testing to see if there is any lye crystals in there.
Alternatively, you could cut out the goopy spots and use the soap with a hole in it.
Deal! It's 108 bars! I will let it sit and cross my fingers. Maybe I could sell it as "oopsie" bars at a discount.....

I wouldn't sell at all, imagine if one had a lye crystal and someone used it on their face or a child.
Another option is to chop it up and use it as embeds in a new batch. You could always rebatch any left over bits that couldn't be used as embeds.

I wouldn't sell at all, imagine if one had a lye crystal and someone used it on their face or a child.
Another option is to chop it up and use it as embeds in a new batch. You could always rebatch any left over bits that couldn't be used as embeds.
Oh yes! I wasn't even thinking! I've seen lots of cool chunky embeds. I will defiantly be going that route. :)

Selling or not this is why it is better to make smaller batches. Those are not candidates for oopsie bars. Oopsie soaps are soaps that do not turn out the colors we want or fragrance has faded not potentially harmful soap. :nonono: Anyone selling should know this.

What you can do is cut them into guest size bars if you can cut enough off each side and leave the middle, which you can then rebatch. I would think if you are selling you would know what caused this problem and also know how to rebatch soap.

Since you are new here please head over to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself. Welcome!!! I agree with the above, if you are selling you should already know what caused this and that it shouldn't be sold ever as is.

This is actually a good example of patience in soap making. I have a dream of selling my soap too and when I started listening to everyone who said be patient. Along with diligent research, I have made wonderful learning mistakes but I quit putting the cart before the horse. And I won't hurt no one by rushing into selling my product that I am proud of.

Latest posts

Back