Good source fo Coconut oil in Australia?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewepootoo

Reaction score
I bought 5 litres of coconut oil on Ebay and have used it up with great delight and I am hoping there is a cheaper way to buy it. It cost me around $80 for the ebay oil after i paid $20 postage. I have rellies in Melbourne, Geelong and Ballarat who could be coaxed to go fetch for me with promises of free soap. I can buy Corn oil for $2 a litre but I like the smell and feel of the Coconut Oil. Any advice gratefully accepted. :D

In a pinch you can use copha from the supermarket.
It's just coconut oil. It's about $2.30 for a 250gm block. Which works out to be under $10 a kilo, so still much cheaper than what you paid for it.
Frymasta is palm oil, and supafry and the no name versions are tallow.
Lard is sold as lard, and from the experience I had with it it's a bit smelly to soap with.

Aussie soap supplies sell coconut oil for a reasonable price.
Do you have any cash and carry restaurant/food wholesalers near you? A lot of the time they sell coconut oil.
I'd be wary of using a lot of corn oil as it can go to do DOS, if you use a high percentage of it.

I spose it depends where you are.Heirloom are in Sydney,Aussie Soap Supplies in WA,& escentials are at Noosaville.I buy most of my bulky/weighty supplies from escentials because they're closer so freight is cheap.
Be careful on ebay.Sounds like you may have bought virgin CO,which is more costly anyway,but hoo boy,80 bucks is scary! I get 5L CO from escentials for $25,freight is $9.But min order is $75.(which I never ever have a problem getting to btw! lol)
BTW. One trusted Aussie supplier is Aussie Soap Supplies.There is another place,based in Brisbane,with a very similar name..Don't get em confused. :wink: :)

ETA: Links! :D

https://www.escentialsofaustralia.com/index.php

http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.au/

I know that Virgin Coconut Oil on eBay is expensive but I love it. I can tell the difference between the Virgin Coconut Soap and a Non-Virgin one.

I have bought normal coconut oil from all three suppliers mentioned. Get your order in soon ewepootoo because they get very busy from now up to Christmas. :wink:

Thanks for all the beaut advice, I feel richer already and I will steer clear of the Extra Virgin oil and save the last little bit I have for cooking. I will get my order in ASAP. :D
Update: I just maxed out my card at Heirloom Bodycare. :D

Robyns Soap house (outer melbourne) also sell bulk oils to soapers, and they look like good prices too. You have to pick up though.

l not long ago bought 25kg of various oils from heirloom, and oh my, the postage stung LOL :shock: :(

http://www.robynsoaphouse.com/

Thanks Gabbie, I clicked on robynssoap but the page was unavailable so I will try again later. I will be heading through Melbourne next week so I may be able to call in and pick up some more supplies. :D

Latest posts

Back