Good Soaping Books?

Discussion in 'Shopping Recommendations' started by moodymonday, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Jan 24, 2014 #1

moodymonday

moodymonday

moodymonday

Just like any craft, soaping requires a large base of knowledge to make quality soaps. But, upon reading various articles, tutorials, etc. and then this forum, I realized that there is an abundance of misinformation around. The Internet aside, what are some good books on CP and other things soap related?

2. Jan 24, 2014 #2

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin  

The Everything Soapmaking Book, Soap Crafting: Step-by-Step Techniques for Making 31 Unique Cold-Process Soaps & Smart Soapmaking: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade are three that I like.

3. Jan 24, 2014 #3

moodymonday

moodymonday

moodymonday

I'll have to search those up on amazon. Do they detail the chemistry at all?

4. Jan 24, 2014 #4

SageontheMountain

SageontheMountain

SageontheMountain

The best book I have found is The Complete Idiot's Guide to Making Natural Soaps.

5. Jan 24, 2014 #5

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin  

They don't go into a lot of chemical detail, instead they are practical user guides.

6. Jan 24, 2014 #6

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

I second The Everything Soapmaking Book. That's the one I started with.

7. Jan 24, 2014 #7

Miz Jenny

Miz Jenny

Miz Jenny

I started with Anne L. Watson's books on soapmaking, soapmaking with milk and lotion making and they're still my go-to books because they are very basic. Everything Soapmaking is on my kindle and it covers everything to do with soaping. As a matter of fact, I'm getting ready to refresh myself on infusions.

8. Jan 24, 2014 #8

elmtree

elmtree

elmtree

If you want the scientific and truly wonderful chemistry info on soap making get Kevin Dunn's 'Scientific Soapmaking'. I also have 'soap crafting' and while her recipes are nice for ideas her numbers on several of the recipes are not ideal and she doesn't go into any of the chemistry really and all of the supplies she lists are from her business. If you want to wait two weeks or more for supplies this is fine, just order WAY before you need anything. I first started with 'making natural soaps' (I think that what it's called lol) and 'natural soap'. The natural soap also has lotion, balms, and cream recipes too which was nice.