Good shave soap recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there anyone willing to share a good, stable shaving soap recipe? One made with KoH.

I've read the songwind thread, I've experimented. I'm researched and I still just can't get it right.

I chopped my legs up pretty bad today, I just want a easy to lather, slick soap. I do use a brush and DE razor.

Is there anyone willing to share a good, stable shaving soap recipe? One made with KoH.

I've read the songwind thread, I've experimented. I'm researched and I still just can't get it right.

I chopped my legs up pretty bad today, I just want a easy to lather, slick soap. I do use a brush and DE razor.
I believe there are several recipes in that thread. Will none of them work for you? I've made 3 different batches and love them all.

I’m looking to try a shave soap too. Bought the ingredients but hesitant to jump in. Kind of put off by the thought of seizing!

Thats why you HP shave soap, doesn't matter if it seizes. Once it heats up, it will loosen and cook just fine.
HP is what I’ve been researching but I’m still wary of trying it. I’ve never even tried a HP soap yet. Got the crockpot from Goodwill and everything months ago but my anxiety kicks in and I chicken out. Lol. I know once I do it I’ll be fine but it’s just my personality to toil over it and over research and the more I read, the more questions I have... :eek:

I know once I do it I’ll be fine but it’s just my personality to toil over it and over research and the more I read, the more questions I have... :eek:
@Jersey Girl Repeat after me, "I can do this!" Now, louder this time. "I can do this!" And again. And again. And again.

Get the message? 😁

HP is just CP thrown in a crockpot. Super easy. Not as pretty as my CP, I cannot get the pretty shapes and designs I've seen others on this forum create but my 1 and only batch has perfect properties and is holding the scent.

HP is what I’ve been researching but I’m still wary of trying it. I’ve never even tried a HP soap yet. Got the crockpot from Goodwill and everything months ago but my anxiety kicks in and I chicken out. Lol. I know once I do it I’ll be fine but it’s just my personality to toil over it and over research and the more I read, the more questions I have... :eek:
Super relatable!!🤪

What's the issue you're having?

If you are on Facebook, there is a good group called Shaving Soap Makers. There is lots of good information, and recipes in the files.

I've been looking at trying this one as I want to do a shave soap using CP.
I've not tried that recipe but was happy to see he added 2 tsps PPO bentonite clay. Of all the clays, it really does add "slip" to shaving soap. It's one of the things I really like about my shave soap. I use AZTEC HEALING CLAY .

TIPS: Make a small 12 oz fats trial batch. Use a lined Pringles can to make four 4-oz pucks that are 2.5" in diameter and drop easily into any standard mug. Do not fill all the way to the top. Leave 1/4" clear for easier removal.

HAPPY SOAPING

Clay is a real touchy subject with many wet shavers. If you are ever planning on selling, you could hinder sales by including it.
They don't want "dirt" that could dull or damage expensive equipment.

I won't touch soap with clay and my DE shaver isn't even expensive or hard to care for.

Oh I hear ya! @Obsidian. But I don't do the tallow/coconut oil/stearic acid type shave soap that is popular on SMF. I wouldn't recommend clay for that type of shave soap.

Mine is more like that one the OP is interested in trying. If you remember "SirTim" (in Spain) who was so intent on formulating a good shaving soap, along with a few other recipes, he made mine with bentonite clay and gave it a thumb's up -- although he eventually went with the other type due to the copious lather. There was another member who tried mine too -- can't think of his name at the moment -- and he not only liked it but his wife liked it too.

Mine is formulated for a close shave, no 5 o'clock shadow, no nicks, it's moisturizing and leaves the face feeling nice and smooth -- not tight or dry at all. It is not high lather but my DH (a long-time wet shaver) would do his whole face without having to rinse more than once -- rather than rinsing after every stroke. For ladies who've tried it, we find we don't have to shave our legs as often.

I"m not bragging, I'm just saying... it's a good thing. :thumbup: :)

Check out this YouTube video: Making Dual Lye Shaving Soap | Modified Cold Process Method
I made my first batch of shaving soap from the recipe presented in that video. It makes really slick, creamy lathering shave soap.
You won't be disappointed. The process as she shows in the video is basically the same when I first attempted it. My trace was a little faster though.
The end result is a semi-hard bar or puck in my case, a slight give to the soap and a tacky feeling on the surface. I wrapped mine in small pieces of plastic wrap. You could let it cure (air dry) for several days if you want. It is useable in 24 hours though. The slight softness and tacky feel was still there after 3 weeks of air curing. It's a 40% NaOH and 60% KOH lye blend, next batch I'm going to try a 50/50 blend to see if it will harden a little more.
OVERALL THOUGH... this is really good shaving soap IMHO!

Click the "SHOW MORE" in the description box of the video and scroll down... you'll find the recipe. Just do a "Copy & Paste" and save it as a text file or doc file.

Last edited:
I've not tried that recipe but was happy to see he added 2 tsps PPO bentonite clay. Of all the clays, it really does add "slip" to shaving soap. It's one of the things I really like about my shave soap. I use AZTEC HEALING CLAY .

TIPS: Make a small 12 oz fats trial batch. Use a lined Pringles can to make four 4-oz pucks that are 2.5" in diameter and drop easily into any standard mug. Do not fill all the way to the top. Leave 1/4" clear for easier removal.

HAPPY SOAPING

What do you line the Pringles can with and can something else be used besides clay to make the soap slippery? I am hearing (reading) that clay dulls the razor blade.

Latest posts

Back