Good Price on Butcher Boy Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a good price! Where do you buy this?
The last paragraph stating "Lard" provides the link. (Click on it.)

ETA: Oh, they have quite a few other fats especially shortening......do some browsing to see what you might like.)

That’s a great price. I just ordered from Bakers Authority and paid $54 + $17 shipping. This would have saved me over $20. Maybe I should get some more... lol. It is my #1 ingredient.

@RDak and @AliOop ...have you ever used Butcher Boy lard before? Wondering how it compares to Armour. I’ve only ever used Armour and I love it but this is such a good price!

I have not! I have always rendered my own lard, but this price is making me reconsider. Shipped to my door with no turkey roaster to clean? Hmmmmmmmm

I love the Armour lard. I’ve been soaping for a bit over a year and I’m on my third 50 lb box. I may just try it. I can’t imagine rendering it myself. I give you much credit for that!

Well, normally it is just so much cheaper to render my own. But at the price you guys are paying, I'm not saving much, if anything. Although our chickens do love the cracklins. 😄🐓

@RDak and @AliOop ...have you ever used Butcher Boy lard before? Wondering how it compares to Armour. I’ve only ever used Armour and I love it but this is such a good price!
No but I received my cube a few days ago and it looks the same as Armour; but I have not soaped with it yet. I don't know when I will get to it because I have about 80 more pounds of Armour lard to use and I usually stop soaping in late March every year. Might be putting this cube of lard in the freezer for next fall soaping.

I have soaped with Butcher Boy coconut many times and it is fine. Just finished off a 50 pound pail of that.

I also noticed Stover Co. offered a mixed meat fat and vegetable oil shortening that appears to mimic Walmart's GV mixed shortening for $37.00. (Link - Mixed shortening)

They offer a Palm Oil 50lb cube for $37.00 also + shipping. (Link - Palm)

(Sadly the coconut oil they do offer costs $175.00)

No but I received my cube a few days ago and it looks the same as Armour; but I have not soaped with it yet. I don't know when I will get to it because I have about 80 more pounds of Armour lard to use and I usually stop soaping in late March every year. Might be putting this cube of lard in the freezer for next fall soaping.

I have soaped with Butcher Boy coconut many times and it is fine. Just finished off a 50 pound pail of that.

I also noticed Stover Co. offered a mixed meat fat and vegetable oil shortening that appears to mimic Walmart's GV mixed shortening for $37.00. (Link - Mixed shortening)

They offer a Palm Oil 50lb cube for $37.00 also + shipping. (Link - Palm)

(Sadly the coconut oil they do offer costs $175.00)

Thank you for this information. Those are really great prices. The coconut oil is always the one I have to shop around for. Lately I’ve been getting it from Big Lots when I get a 20% off coupon. The shipping is always the killer at other suppliers and they beat Costco’s price.

I have not! I have always rendered my own lard, but this price is making me reconsider. Shipped to my door with no turkey roaster to clean? Hmmmmmmmm

Big Lots is usually the best price on CO for me, as well. The ability to pick it up locally is huge since it saves so much in shipping.

Yes! Same here. With the coupon it comes out to under .10 and ounce. I can’t beat that price anywhere else as no restaurant supply stores near me carry it in bulk. I sooooo wish I lived near Soapers Choice. Lol.

Yes! Same here. With the coupon it comes out to under .10 and ounce. I can’t beat that price anywhere else as no restaurant supply stores near me carry it in bulk. I sooooo wish I lived near Soapers Choice. Lol.
I haven't found CO, lard, or RBO in bulk at restaurant supply or other local stores either - only a mixed shortening, or fry oil made of peanut and soy.

ETA: I just found lard at the local Smart Foods (Cash & Carry). It works out to $1.69lb for local pickup. For the Stover & Co lard, shipping to me would be almost $30, but with their base price being so low, it still works out to only $1.24pp.... AND it comes to my door instead of me having to pay for gas, spend my time, and wreck my back, getting it in and out of our truck. That is quite a savings, so thanks, @RDak!

Last edited:
According to the link, it is a Butcher Boy lard which is a Columbus Foods Lard, which is Soaper's Choice, so that is a good price indeed! It may not be the exact same lard (as I see it has added flavoring) but as far as quality, I trust Columbus Foods for soapmaking oils.

Soaper's Choice is dropping the 50-pound sizes because UPS is now charging them a $25 surcharge for 50-pound cubes. That makes the same (or similar) product cost $93.77 to be shipped to me, and I am in the same state as Columbus Foods and Soaper's Choice!

To ship via FedEx from Pennsylvania to my home would be $15.93 per the online estimate, making the total cost $48.51, only $3.51 more than the cost of the same/similar product directly from Soaper's Choice without the cost of UPS shipping from Soaper's Choice.

If I wanted some lard for soapmaking, this would definitely be my first choice at this point. It's even cheaper than I can find at Walmart.

RDak, Kudo's to you for finding such a good deal. Do share on your evaluation of the lard in your soapmaking. Also a question:

Does it smell fresh and does the 'use by date' give you reasonable time to use the supply?

Wow. Even with $18 ish shipping, that comes to approximately $1 a pound. I don't need it right now, but will be purchasing in the future if I hear some good reviews here.

I have all the same questions as @earlene has mentioned...

Butcher Boy has 7.2 oz Coconut Oils for $1 in Dollar Tree. You can’t beat that. No Shipping Costs.

Butcher Boy has 7.2 oz Coconut Oils for $1 in Dollar Tree. You can’t beat that. No Shipping Costs.
I guess it depends on where you live. My local Dollar Tree doesn't carry that, but even if they did, that comes out to over $2/pound. The price at our local Big Lots is about $1.75/lb with their coupon. Even the local restaurant supply store is more expensive than that for their 50lb pails.

Lol.., I’m late to the party but that 32.56 is now 66.73. Sigh..
Do you have a restaurant depot near you? Here in NJ they carry 35lb buckets of lard for $46+. No tax or shipping so the most reasonable price I have found. I used to get 50lb blocks from Bakers Authority which had reasonable shipping to me as they are in NY. The price went from $54 to $115 for the 50 lbs. OUCH! I hope my restaurant depot doesn’t stop carrying it!

Do you have a restaurant depot near you? Here in NJ they carry 35lb buckets of lard for $46+. No tax or shipping so the most reasonable price I have found. I used to get 50lb blocks from Bakers Authority which had reasonable shipping to me as they are in NY. The price went from $54 to $115 for the 50 lbs. OUCH! I hope my restaurant depot doesn’t stop carrying it!
Oooooh! I never thought of that! I’ll see if we have a restaurant depot or a restaurant supply close by. Thank you for the idea 💡

Back