Good patchouli fragrance oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheLion

Reaction score
My sister loves patchouli and has requested that I make her some patchouli soap. Since EOs tend not to stick/last and can be expensive for soapmaking, I'm going the FO route on this one. She wants the patchouli to smack her over the head and take her hostage so it needs to be really strong.

I've looked at the review chart in the stickied thread but not gotten much love from it. Can anyone recommend a specific FO? I want straight patchouli, not a blend.

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty new to this but I bought some patchouli EO and it is super strong. Maybe I'm just paranoid about using too much and having my soap smell like old hippies and the soap I used it in has not fully cured yet so I'm not sure if it will stick or not. I haven't seen a "pure" FO in my online wanderings.

I would toss out there that while it is true that some EOs don't stick well, honestly you will find that with some FOs as well. Patchouli is one EO that it strong in CP soap and sticks well from my experience.

Hi - I've used patchouli EO in several recipes and the scent is very light. Just wondering whether those of you who find it sticks well, did you used aged Patchouli? I assumed mine would be stronger and have bought from 2 different places in the hope of getting a stronger smell but then read about aged patch.....or maybe organic is stronger??? I have made 100% patch and can't smell a thing and it is only 3 days old, but, the one i mixed with bergamot and orange 10x back in August still has a lovely light scent to it....maybe it is what it is mixed with??? - Interested to hear what you mixed it with or type you used? :)

I have used the Now brand of patch eo you can get at heath food stores and I have ordered some from Camden Gray. Both are strong and stick really well.

I have smelled a couple patch FOs and have not been impressed with them.

A little patch eo goes a long way. 2% - 3 % is enough usually

I just checked a 15 month old EO patchouli soap - still scented! It's the light patchouli from NDA. I think of light patchouli as the modern one, dark patchouli as the classic hippy scent, but everyone has their favorite, and I just made that up because I'm surprised I like patchouli now. Love it, actually :)

I know you asked about FOs, of which I have no experience, but thought I'd throw my EO thoughts into the ring along with the others... I find patchouli EO seems to stick well, too and just went and checked a soap made on April 25, 2016, that used a blend of 55% Patchouli (dark) EO and 45% Peppermint EO. The EOs were used at a rate of 3% ppo and the patchouli smell is definitely still there. I use Dark Patchouli from New Directions Aromatics.

Like Millie, I'm really surprised at how many times I reach for the patchouli to add depth when making a blend... I used to abhor the stuff!

I use the dark patchouli from NDA too. It's great to use as an anchor for lighter, more volatile scents, or to deepen other woody scents that are on the sweet side like cedarwood. Like what was said before, a little goes a long way!

I use the Dark Patchouli from Fragrance Laboratory or NDA. I have many die hard Patch lovers. I've tried small amounts from other suppliers but love the Dark. It sticks and lasts a long time.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I tried a batch with patch EO but the scent didn't stick. Then again, I may not have used enough EO either. That was in the days before I found the wisdom of SMF so I probably only used like .5%.

I have a bottle of patch EO that I bought with soap-making intentions in mind (before I discovered that EOs don't always stick) so I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work, I'll try the dark patch from NDA that a couple people have mentioned. My sister likes the intense, resin-y variety so the dark patch will probably be one she likes.

As an interesting aside, I recently learned that patchouli EO can be aged, like wine and cheese. And the character changes a bit over time as well. (I think it gets richer and more complex but that's pure conjecture on my part based on a several years old bottle I had.) I learned this while reading a recnt article written by someone whose benchmark patchouli oil (that he compared other bottles to) was one that was bottled in 1942! I would love to smell that. So if you have a bottle of patch EO that doesn't quite do it for you, set it aside for a couple years then revisit it and see if you like it better.

Oh yeah. .5% is not near enough. That is the range for clove and peppermint - becasue they can cause burning in sensitive parts.... :D

Another patch lover here. Use the real stuff; it is unlikely you will find a good artificial comparison. Try an orange-patch blend at 2:1 with a combined total of 5-7%. It's divine!

Would you post the link to the 1942 bottle? I completely believe it but would at least like to read about it since I will never put my nose to it.

Latest posts

Back