Good Gravy! Shipping cost at Soaper's Choice, Whattttttt??????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a ton of stuff (269 lbs) from SC and the shipping on it was $307.00. So it's a little over $1/1 lb....

I'm gonna guess your order shipped via UPS or FedEx ground? If so, you might want to look into having Soaper's Choice ship your orders by truck. The shipping cost might well be about half of what you paid -- my rough rule of thumb is to look into the availability of truck shipment (what's sometimes called LTL, less than truck load) for any shipment over about 100 pounds.

Being that you live in rural Wisconsin, you might want to talk to your local farmer's co-op or sweet talk someone else who has a loading dock. See if you could have the shipment delivered there for you to pick up later. That's what we did before we got a skid steer with a pallet fork. You should be able to remove the stretch wrap or banding and offload the individual boxes by hand into your car or pickup. It's awkward, but works.

I just bought a ton of stuff (269 lbs) from SC and the shipping on it was $307.00. So it's a little over $1/1 lb.
This is what I really hate about this whole shopping scam. This is a great opportunity for those businesses that are no longer paying fees associated with brick and mortar stores. Kind of a two for one deal.
I would look at places like Sam's, Costco, Big Lots, etc. for Olive, Coconut, Avocado, Palm (I usually get at the Wholefoods Co-app when on sale), Avocado, Canola, etc.
An avenue you can check out for Rice Bran Oil is a store like Tractor Supply, Fleet Farm / Farm Fleet, etc. Go to the Horse Isle and look at the supplemental oils they feed to horses. You'll be sure to find some there! *Warning though, I notice that they inflate the price like crazy!
Good shopping luck!
I'm gonna guess your order shipped via UPS or FedEx ground? If so, you might want to look into having Soaper's Choice ship your orders by truck. The shipping cost might well be about half of what you paid -- my rough rule of thumb is to look into the availability of truck shipment (what's sometimes called LTL, less than truck load) for any shipment over about 100 pounds.

Being that you live in rural Wisconsin, you might want to talk to your local farmer's co-op or sweet talk someone else who has a loading dock. See if you could have the shipment delivered there for you to pick up later. That's what we did before we got a skid steer with a pallet fork. You should be able to remove the stretch wrap or banding and offload the individual boxes by hand into your car or pickup. It's awkward, but works.
Duh! Never even thought about it. My father owns a farm, he lives right next door. He does not have a loading dock, but he does have a tractor with a front end loader and pallet attachment and gets LTL shipments all of the time. Thank you for the idea, because I have been holding off on ordering candle wax for that very reason - $300 for shipping. I will look into this!

:thumbs: :thumbs: That's what I do too.

:thumbs: :thumbs: That's another plus I can attest to. Reliable suppliers like Soapers Choice are rare. Over the years, they've earned my loyalty. Never disappointed.

Yes. Like Earlene mentioned, if you add a 7 lb jug of olive oil and another oil like palm or PKO (flakes) your shipping stays the same or goes up only a dollar or two more. The cost of shipping, spread over 4 products, is not so bad. ;)
Just an FYI. Play with the amount of product you purchase. From what I can see, I think the gallon jugs usually ship in 6 per box, so that is usually the limit of the amount you can get where the shipping price changes.

ETA: I just priced out a 30# cube of lard and 30# cube of tallow at Soaper's Choice. The combined cost of the two items was $52. The shipping was $65.

Wow! It kills me too when the cost of shipping is more than the product! that hurts! For lard and tallow though, an option ? Render your own. Go to a butcher and they will give you pig fat or cow fat for free or next to nothing! We just butchered a steer and I have 3 HUGE bags of fat I am going to render down myself. I milk my own goats and use my own goat milk in the soaps too.

ETA: I just priced out a 30# cube of lard and 30# cube of tallow at Soaper's Choice. The combined cost of the two items was $52. The shipping was $65
Maybe it was my shipping they messed up on, but I know in the past also I've never had to pay more than $100 shipping for 250#-300# of oils.

Wow! It kills me too when the cost of shipping is more than the product! that hurts! For lard and tallow though, an option ? Render your own. Go to a butcher and they will give you pig fat or cow fat for free or next to nothing! We just butchered a steer and I have 3 HUGE bags of fat I am going to render down myself. I milk my own goats and use my own goat milk in the soaps too.
Yup, I normally render my own in a big electric turkey roaster pan. It's just been extremely hot here, so I was going to buy my first cube of lard to tide me over till it cools off a bit. :)

Maybe it was my shipping they messed up on, but I know in the past also I've never had to pay more than $100 shipping for 250#-300# of oils.
I wonder if part of the costs depends whether you are closer to certain metropolitan areas, or something like that? The other issue is that shipping costs in general have skyrocketed since the beginning of the year. So your next shipment may end up being more expensive than in the past.

I wonder if part of the costs depends whether you are closer to certain metropolitan areas, or something like that?
?? Could be, but I'm pretty rural(ish) as well, so? I don't know.
The other issue is that shipping costs in general have skyrocketed since the beginning of the year. So your next shipment may end up being more expensive than in the past.
My last shipment from them was end of May, for 250# of oils, and it was roughly $72.
But who knows, pricing is weird...

I'm on the East Coast and buy from them twice a year and get enough to qualify for the pallet rate. When I need something unexpectedly i just bite the bullet and pay whatever the shipping comes to.

Soaper's Choice has never been a disappointment for oils. Shipping is going up for all carriers. My order is most always delivered the next day. One plus for me is if I want to drive into the Chicago area, I can pick up oils at their warehouse. About 165 miles for me.

SC shipping just went up a lot this year for UPS. It all happened when they changed from the 50# containers to the 30# containers which was done because of UPS changes on box weight. My order in May was $.50/pound higher than last year and all due to shipping changes.

Although LTL is a great option you do have to calculate what quantity that will actually save money for your specific ZIP. That depends on where you live, their contract shipper for your area and poundage. I used to go in with two other soapers to purchase using LTL but it finally got to where our order had to be over 1,000 pounds for our area to be cheaper and we quit.

After reading thread I’ve never been so happy to have GreenCastleSoap just 15 minute drive from me here in Spokane, Washington. She carries just about everything & prices are very reasonable! I’m going to go buy some more rice bran oil & give Tracy a big ol’ air 🤗

Last edited:
I've been ordering a lot from MMS lately. Not only are they in my state, but they have free shipping for orders over $200. I ordered yesterday and my order will arrive today. Can't beat that right?!?

After reading thread I’ve never been so happy to have GreenCastleSoap just 15 minute drive from me here in Spokane, Washington. She carries just about everything & prices are very reasonable!
I looked on their website and don't see a list of their available supplies with prices. Do you know if they make one available from them directly (or might you have one)?

I looked on their website and don't see a list of their available supplies with prices. Do you know if they make one available from them directly (or might you have one)?
Those items must be purchased in person. Which is why I am so truly thankful to have her shop so nearby.
5419C4C9-0757-4FB3-9FDF-EFAD745AE094.png

@LynetteO Yes, I saw that on their website. I was wondering about prices because I'm in Portland, close enough to drive there if it was worthwhile.
I am headed there this Friday. I’d be happy to look for you. What are you looking for?

Here’s some stuff I have out & easy to read. F/O & E/O various prices. Ex) Lime E/O $9.79@ 2oz Meyer Lemon F/O 8.59@ 2oz.
Rice oil $2.95 4 8oz. Grape seed oil $3.95 4 8oz; TD $5.89 4oz; 1oz dried flowers vary weight about $2.95; 1lb cocoa butter $12.95; 20g Mica@ $5.95

Thanks, @LynetteO . I'm not looking for anything in particular at the moment. Just wondering if they might be a useful new supplier down the road. I'm kind of on soapmaking hiatus at the moment as I'll be doing some travelling (catching up on last year's cancelled-for-Covid visits).

Latest posts

Back