Good-bye dear Guy At the End of the Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Note to new folks that awhile back we had a fun thread where you substituted your pet's name with "The Guy/gal At the End of the Bar."

We said good-bye to our beloved dog, Trevor, this week and our hearts are broken. He was 17 years old and we were blessed to have him in our family for 15 years. I process by writing – but will limit myself to just a couple of stories here.

Our oldest child begged us for two years to get a dog. His PowerPoint presentation finally wore his parents down.

On 07/07/2007, our lucky day, we met Trevor at a shelter. He walked into the room, picked out four separate toys and dropped them at the feet of our two children (8 and 10 years old), my wife, and me. Who could resist that warm welcome?

When Trevor joined our household, we also had an elderly cat who definitely did not appreciate this intruder. Trevor did his best to charm and warm up to the cat, all to no avail. The cat decided to own the second floor – and relegated Trevor to the first floor.

After a few months, our elderly cat became very ill. On her last evening with us, she was shivering severely. Trevor approached and slowly and gently laid down his head on top of her to warm her up. Our cat accepted this gesture and closed her eyes. I will never forget that touching moment between two dear creatures.

Trevor was my only dog. By day he was a Mama’s Boy – but at night he always slept at my side.

Trevor had a real good last day. We went on a walk. He got many snuggles and head rubs with our new cat who was his best pal. Also lots of peanut butter treats. He was a dear little puppers and has left a huge hole in our heart and home.
277587489_10226522261465624_1569142060950780449_n.jpg

**** Zing. Allergies are why I am crying right now. I am very sorry for the loss of your beloved Trevor. I have no doubt that he received a warm welcome when he crossed over...my Buttons, Patches, Sheba, Sass and Dora would have there to greet him as well as many others.

I'm so sorry, Zing. It's so hard to lose our beloved furry family members. I hope that when you are ready you are able to adopt another amazing soul from a shelter.

I want to thank all of you for your incredibly kind words during a low time. It means a great deal. I have found it incredibly comforting to visualize Trevor being welcomed by furry friends, former companions of Forum friends and in real life friends, in a place where he can run and not grow weary. With great appreciation,

I know I am late reading this, but I truly am so very sorry! Those furry friends walk right into our hearts and make a home there. Losing my last dog made me determined that I am going to just have fish and other underwater pets from now on. I have furry grandkids, and losing them is going to be bad enough.

Zing, I’m so sorry. I know your pain, and I’ve felt it recently. We just lost one of our kitties unexpectedly to an enlarged heart and fluid filled lungs on the 22nd. He was only four years old. They’re the children and family we choose. Theyre irreplaceable, and I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope your happy memories take over during this time of sadness.

Thank you @Ochre+Co and @Susie for your kind notes. I appreciate it. We're still adjusting but thankfully the grief is not so piercing. I still catch myself thinking 'it's been 9 hours we've been gone, gotta get home to let Trevor out.'

One surprise. We really underestimated the social role Trevor played in our cat's life! Now she is either on my lap, my wife's lap -- or on Trevor's bed. Seeing her little self on Trevor's big bed is so heartwarming and a reminder of their special friendship.

My girl at the end of the bar passed as well about a year ago as you probably know. I laid her almost directly in the middle of my back yard under a tree that I planted for my friend who passed, and she's got the kids next door running all over her spot, which I think is great!! She always wanted to go play with them, but I was nervous because she was old. "Barking like a maniac does not make them want to play with you" LOL Now they run all over her spot and she finally gets to play with them.

My cat also frequents all of the dogs spots in the house. And she sits on top of the sofa like Abby did waiting for me to get home or even just looking through the blinds.

I've been trying to get another dog, or even a puppy, but just can't find one to fill Abby's place. I feel your pain. I am really sorry to hear about your guy at the end of the bar. I know it hurts.

Back