Gold mica swirls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm feeling hopeful about these bars and having a thick gold mica swirl that goes through the thickness of it and maintains its shimmer and size. These bars were rinsed and rubbed under running water so it's staying so far! No big divots or pitting on the surface.

I put about a tsp of gold mica in enough oil to make it thick but fluid, then added about 1.5-2 ounces of batter. Stirred it up really well and poured from high so it would sink to the bottom and then poured from lower so some would stay on the surface, and then swirled. Obviously that batter is very superfatted but the streaks are thin so the surrounding soap may have absorbed some of the oil. We'll see if it gets DOS, but I still have a 28% SF soap from the SF swap that has no DOS, so it may hold.

IMG_7305.jpg

IMG_7307.jpg

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_7310.jpg

I love gold mica. I need to try that. I haven't found a way to keep the shimmer. Copper mica, yes...but not the gold. Pretty soap!

Glad you posted this newbie. I'm still kicking around an idea I had for last month's discoloring FO challenge. I wanted to make a Ghirardelli chocolate soap with a gold & klein blue mica swirl. I've been holding off because I'm afraid the discoloring FO will overwhelm the gold mica if I don't use enough. It's a good point of reference to know how much mica you used and exactly how much soap batter. Where did you get your gold mica?

I love the look of the gold mica veins. It'll be really interesting to see how this cures out.

I'm a bit of a freak about gold. Love it in paintings and artwork and I've wanted to get gold veins/swirls as well. There is little batter compared to the mica so I don't know how it would hold up against a DC FO, Doriette, to be honest. I used a Nurture gold mica but the name was worn off the label. It's probably either Sahara or Maya gold. It has a deeper tone than 24K gold micas.

Thanks for the compliments. Trying to get the actual shimmery gold to show up in CP has been a goal, so I was excited to cut it and see the veins deeper in.

You're right, it is difficult to get the shimmery look of the mica to come through, but you've nailed it! Absolutely gorgeous. :thumbup:

Those are so cool newbie - really pretty. I'd been wondering about trying to get a mica swirl into the soap, but was feeling stumped. Of course, I didn't think of mixing a little soap batter in (duh), and was pretty sure just mica in oil wouldn't work out too well. I'm impressed with your innovative-ness once again! Great job.

Back