Gold, Frankincense & Myrrh

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my latest holiday soap. Thanks to the suggestions from my peeps here, I like the gold glitter on top. Clearly I didn't mix the mica thoroughly enough, but it's okay. Scented with fir needle, frankincense, cedarwood, orange, cinnamon leaf, and myrrh essential oils. Myrrh to me smells sickly sweet and I cut it down from previous batches, but still not liking it a lot, but it's okay.
My new tall & skinny mold is now inaugurated -- gotta search here for tips to prevent bowing. Was kinda tricky to have such a small opening to work with!

Attachments

• 20211011_190848.jpg
    20211011_190848.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20211011_190901.jpg
    20211011_190901.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20211011_191841.jpg
    20211011_191841.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20211011_191853.jpg
    20211011_191853.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 56
Nice! I recently did a Frankincense & Myrrh soap and tried to dust the top with mica. Didn't like the looks so "painted" it by wetting a finger smearing the mica. Liked it much better.

Wow - beautiful! 😍 😍 😍 What color did you use for the soap batter - I like it! If you don't want to build a wood frame to set your mold in, I think stacking books along the side works well. Or if you have any Legos left from times gone by, you can build a support to set the mold in with those. I have a velcro strap that I use on one silicone mold which works pretty well, but it is a smaller size that yours looks to be.

Wow - beautiful! 😍 😍 😍 What color did you use for the soap batter - I like it! If you don't want to build a wood frame to set your mold in, I think stacking books along the side works well. Or if you have any Legos left from times gone by, you can build a support to set the mold in with those. I have a velcro strap that I use on one silicone mold which works pretty well, but it is a smaller size that yours looks to be.
Thanks. It's merlot sparkle, Merlot Sparkle Mica | BrambleBerry with less than an 1/8 tsp black oxide. The line is activated charcoal. I like the black and gold on top.

Here's my latest holiday soap. Thanks to the suggestions from my peeps here, I like the gold glitter on top. Clearly I didn't mix the mica thoroughly enough, but it's okay. Scented with fir needle, frankincense, cedarwood, orange, cinnamon leaf, and myrrh essential oils. Myrrh to me smells sickly sweet and I cut it down from previous batches, but still not liking it a lot, but it's okay.
My new tall & skinny mold is now inaugurated -- gotta search here for tips to prevent bowing. Was kinda tricky to have such a small opening to work with!
The classic alternating wall pour looks extra snazzy in the all-new tall-and-skinny edition!

Well done! That.soap.is.perfect. And the gold is so glimmery shimmery 😎

What @dibbles said :thumbs:

Here is a link to lovinsoap lego soap support (say that three times fast...)

Except I would not do it the way she did it, she used the blocks as a complete mold and poured soap into it (ack, the clean up), but I guess she maybe wanted the holes. And she has to rebuild it for every new soaps (ok, now I feel I am talking you into doing it that way. And buy all the legos...)

I would use the mold and build a lego soap support so your T&S mold is snuggle inside it, just like Dibbles said. And I would build a lid, also made out of lego (obv..)

Wrt bowing – the mould is just silicone I guess? Do you incline it for the pours, or is your trace thick enough that it stays in place all by itself? Do you CPOP? So many makeshift tricks, but which one works, depends on your steps.
You could always just buy a dozen more T&S moulds, put them closely side by side, and fill them all in one session, then only the two outermost moulds get bowed.

For sure @John Harris is angry now that he has lost so much time to Havana, and now his Three Wise Men can be no more than a lousy copy of yours! 🤣

Nice work, Zing! Is there a name to that technique?
@ResolvableOwl et al.
Contrary to the word on the street, I am not the inventor of this technique, alternating wall pour.
Nice soap! Don’t you still have the legos from when your sons were small? They do come in handy.
Not only do we have legos, but I feel like I have permanent scars on my feet during their phase where legos were in every single room in our house! There actually may be one or two embedded in my soles....
@Zing If your line is charcoal, how did you keep it from smearing when you cut it?
I have never thought about that or worried about that, and I use this design frequently. When I make mechanics soap with poppy seeds and coffee grounds, I get drag marks, but not with charcoal.

[QUOTE="Zing, post: 914601, member: 270
I have never thought about that or worried about that, and I use this design frequently. When I make mechanics soap with poppy seeds and coffee grounds, I get drag marks, but not with charcoal.
[/QUOTE]
I didn't worry about it till I made an orange and yellow mango soap with charcoal lines and had black on sides and front.

Beautiful soap @Zing ! What do you use to make your lines? I used a tea ball for activated charcoal and it poured out !

[QUOTE="Zing, post: 914601, member: 270
I didn't worry about it till I made an orange and yellow mango soap with charcoal lines and had black on sides and front.
[/QUOTE]
I just cut some white and rose clay soap and had a charcoal line, but it was kinda thick . Anyway it smeared the sides and front too. It helped a bit when I tightened the wire tho

Back