Going to do my first HP and nervous

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber123

Reaction score
I've done CP and M&P but never HP...idk why but it frightens me...Im prepping some beer for beer soap and I really don't want to wait the 6 weeks to cure for this one..so I'm gonna HP it so I can use it right away. Any tips for me? Things I need to remember ..things you may have forgotten on your first HP ect? I appreciate any advice you have!

Make sure you use full water and don't over stir. You should know though, doing HP doesn't mean it shouldn't be cured. All it does is speed up the saponification processes so over all, it only speeds up cure by 2-3 days.

I really think it's a myth that hp is good right away. I don't think it is any better for your skin than cp that just stopped zapping. First I suggest being patient with soap and second don't over think it. ☺ also I have heard alot of people cooking for really long times which I have never found necessary. Just cook until it stopps zapping. Good luck and have fun!

I only cook until its clearish, I don't even check for zap. I figure if there is lye still active, it will finish saponifying soon enough. Properly made HP might be safe to use immediately but as already mentioned, so is CP once it passes the zap test.

at first i stirred mine like crazy, but lately i stopped stirring while the soap is cooking, and i found that the batter is more smooth and manageable that way. if you have sodium lactate, you can use 1% to make the batter more fluid. it really makes a difference me thinks. i've not done beer soap the HP way, so i don't know if there are any special tips and tricks about it.

and yes on the full water.

I started with HP and really don't find the cure time any different. Its kind of a myth. I actually find my HP have to sit longer to dry out more or they are mushy and melt too fast in the shower. CP seems to set up better and harder faster IMHO.

Like the other ladies have said use full water. People have different techniques like some love to constantly stir but I never bother to stir till the very end when I add all my additives. I also don't over cook. I just turn my crock pot on till 1/3 of the batter has gelled, then I turn it off and let the remaining heat cook the rest. My hp turns out more fluid this way, good luck and don't forget to post pics :). My very first soap was a hp beer soap BTW.

thanks everyone and thanks for clarifying when hp is ready to use. Ill still give it a little cure time and Ill post pics if I dont end up with goo

So happy with it! Thanks for all the advice everyone!

beersoap.jpg.jpg

I like it a lot and will def do it again. The soap tested a nice ph as soon as I had it on the mold so that made me happy. I was really nervous about air pockets but slammed the mold really hard so I guess that really works! My friends cant wait for me to pass out these bars.

Latest posts

Back