Going back to Pomace Olive Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stopped using the Pomice OO when I was able to find regular OO at wally world cheaper than ordering OO(due to shipping). I notice my soap batters are more yellow, and that tends to turn all my purple colorants gray. Even my ultramarine violet. So I am going back.:Kitten Love:

I never had a problem using pomace either. They just don't sell it at my local wallyworld. The only way I could get it was to order it. So I was buying regular OO at wallyworld to save money on shipping costs. Getting ready to put in my next soapers choice order and pomace OO is on the list. Plus I want to try some cocoa butter this time.:smile:

I cannot find pomace oo in my area at all, and I would really like to try it without buying a huge bottle at soapers choice. I'm lucky if I could find a decent oo at wally world. I found one at sams club (their brand) and not too expensive (about $11.00 for 3 liters) it's golden in color and have not had issues with it turning soap, or changing mica colors (YET). The only time I have run into this problem with purple color was when making GM soap.

Aside from the pomace being cheaper does it make a difference in soap making that you have noticed other than discoloring your purple color?

When mixing colors into batch I normally add 2 tsps. of oo into a cup along with the mica and then pour into the batch. I use a frother that I purchased from IKEA to mix the color in the cup to get out the lumps.

If I don't use any color I have noticed that the soaps turn brownish/tan in color. I assumed it was the FO I was using.

Good to know, I was thinking of switching from Pomace (its all i've ever used) to regular OO. Maybe I will just stick with Pomace. I heard Pomace traces quicker though which is something I dont want because I like to do swirls n stuff. hmmmm. decisions.

Good to know, I was thinking of switching from Pomace (its all i've ever used) to regular OO. Maybe I will just stick with Pomace. I heard Pomace traces quicker though which is something I dont want because I like to do swirls n stuff. hmmmm. decisions.

I think it's just me that has problems with it. LOL
So many other people use it and it works just fine for them.

What about changing colorant type? Unless you're a 100% natural, consider using colorblock or a different mica or oxide. You got grey because purple neutralizes yellow on the color wheel. One way to overcome that is to use a more concentrated colorant, or to add enough purple that you actually get purple. Another thing you could do is change the proportions of your colorant. You could add more blue or more red depending on what shade of purple you want to "lean" the purple away from a neutral color. I don't know how concentrated different colorants are, but color science is all the same no matter the medium, so maybe it will help? I don't know, good luck though!

Last edited:
I was able to do swirls with pomace oo. As for my purple colorant, I had to use a ton of alkanet root to get that deep purple in my luxury lavender bars. If I was using ultramarine violet i would have had to use 2 heaping tablespoons. I know that yellow will turn purple gray. That is why I want to go back to pomace oo.

I've been able to swirl with Pomace. I've only been using it for a month or so, but really can't tell the difference in trace...the price is the BIG difference I like ;)

Try adding some UM Blue to your UM Violet. It will help it be less gray.

I use Pomace without any noticeable speed difference and I have no problem doing swirls unless I have a FO that wants to be nasty....

I deleted it for ya, Skatergirl.

I'm trying something new. The batches I have curing now are Pomace/Rice bran mix from Soapers Choice. I love rice bran oil, and this is 50/50, and so far I like it very much. No problems swirling or tracing faster, and it's far less expensive than regular OO.

I have never tried Pomace. I can't get any other OO where I live other than the bright green extra virgin varieties. I have to work around it with the colours I choose. If I want a really white soap, I have to stick to Sunflower and Almond and such. There are so many oils I can't get here or that are far too expensive to buy overseas, other than on rare occasions. I have only just managed to find a place in the UK that will send me some Palm Kernel Oil, so I am looking forward to trying that for the very first time, just as soon as the mailman brings it to me! It was still pretty expensive though. 10 GBP for 1 liter. That's 16 USD for 1 quart. It won't be something I buy regularly, that's for sure! I just want to try it once. I sure do envy those who can get oils, any oils, at a reasonable price. :(

Maybe Santa will bring me some Pomace... next year. :)

When I first started making soap I used regular OO but when I started making it more often I switched to pomace. Haven't had any issues and love working with it. I can't speak to color since a lot of my soaps I use milk which discolors anyway.

I got really lucky (soap wise) and am now stationed in Cleveland, OH. I have both NG and WSP within a half hour drive from my home. No shipping and a 20% discount for pickup at WSP. Woohoo!!!!!

If you have a local middle eastern market, you may be able to find pomace olive oil for a reasonable price. I live right near a large middle eastern community and can get 3 liters of pomace olive oil for $8.99 quite regularly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Soap Making

Wow I have never seen it that cheap thats why I have never used it either but I just found it at Shoprite for 13 dollars for 3 liters. I don't know how that compares but I need to find another Olive the one that I have been buying at BJs just went up in price again so its getting to the point that I want to try Rice or Pomace or something...... Its getting too expensive to soap.

I buy rice bran oil from Riceland Co. six gallons at a time. I find it is cheaper for me than ordering from Soaper's Choice. I can also use the oil from Riceland for cooking.

Latest posts

Back