Goat's Milk, which is it.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM? What do you call it?

• Goat's Milk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goats Milk

• Goat Milk

• Total voters

Bret

Reaction score
DH and I got into a discussion about this. I say (type, whatever) goat's milk. He says it should be goat or goats. What do you think?

Not that I have the correct answer, but since I make ONLY goat Milk based CP soap see....I just called it GOAT MILK. :lol: I call myself "A Goat Milk Soapier!" :) My original name for my soap company was;
"The 'Ole Goat Soaps & Lotions" I took the Soap Tools Business off this, or "T" for The, "O" for 'Ole, "G" for Goat. Notice, I called it The 'Ole Goat. Anyway, that is just me and what this Ozarks Hillbilly calls the term. :wink: 8) :D Ya' all want a bar of my goat milk soap? :p

Paul

Well - even though I have a college education - lol - I was doing it wrong. I had a friend that is a professional editor/proof reader go through my site and it is technically goat's milk with the apostrophe because it is milk that belongs to - or did belong to - a goat. It's possessive.

Edited to add - That's what happens when you major in Beer. <Burp>

Marr said:
Well - even though I have a college education - lol - I was doing it wrong. I had a friend that is a professional editor/proof reader go through my site and it is technically goat's milk with the apostrophe because it is milk that belongs to - or did belong to - a goat. It's possessive.

Well, that does make sense, even to this 'ole Ozark hillbilly! Yer rite by diny-dangy!! :lol: :lol:

Paul... :wink:

Yeah - that came off sounding really bad. I'm sorry. That's why I put the LOL next to it. My point was - all that schooling and I can't even spell goat's milk right! It's soooooo sad. But - it was also 150 YEARS AGO! I don't remember jack. :)

Marr said:
Yeah - that came off sounding really bad. I'm sorry. That's why I put the LOL next to it. My point was - all that schooling and I can't even spell goat's milk right! It's soooooo sad. But - it was also 150 YEARS AGO! I don't remember jack. :)

Don't worry about a thing! I'm glad you asked a professional which way it should be put in print. We all need to laugh at ourselves and others once in a while. I laugh at all my mistakes all the time---well not ALL the time because sometimes I cry! :( :lol:

Paul..

It just depends on how much that mistake costs and how much of the precious SHEA and PATCHOULI stash is lost! LOL

I hate it when I waste shea or patch. They're a terrible thing to waste.
Downright criminal.

technically goat's milk with the apostrophe because it is milk that belongs to - or did belong to - a goat. It's possessive.

I agree, it is possessive, but when Soapmaker Man takes possesion of the milk does it not then stop being Goat's Milk & become Soapmaker Man's Milk?

Very classy & professional site Marr! Love the simplicity & the photos.

OK, I may be a moderator here, but Marr, tell me how you inserted the link into your business name? I have tried and tried to do this. :oops: Tab, help!!!

Paul... :?

Goat = one goat.
Goat's = possessive; belonging to one goat.
Goats = more than one goat.
Goats' = possessive; belonging to more than one goat.

Goat's Milk = possessive; the milk of one goat. Unless you're milking your own goat (as in your only goat) this is, IMO, wrong. If you're buying the milk from the store, it's probably from more than one goat--therefore, the correct term would be "Goats' Milk"; the milk of more than one goat.

Soapmaker Man, I sent you an email with the code you were wanting...

Good point about the goat's vs goats'.

Did you know when you buy ground meat at the grocers you are likely getting particles from dozens even one hundred cows? I thought of that in relationship to milk from multipe goats being in one bag/bottle.

Never mind, looks like you figured the second out on your own :wink: .

Well, I'm a goat breeder and associate with other goat breeders and goat milk is the term I've most often heard "in the biz".

Depends on how it's being used.

If it's in the title of an ebay listing then I use "goat milk" just because of space.

But usually I say goat's milk just cause it's gramatically correct i guess.
and goats milk when i'm lazy.

LOL - what a hoot this conversation is.

Thanks for the compliments on the site Tabitha! My hubby took the photos and I did the site.

Oh - and thanks for the info on ground beef. Not sure what I think about that. :(

faithy said:
Depends on how it's being used.

Well, in this case, I add goat's milk to my soaps. So it's a goat milk soap. Or a goat's milk soap. From multiple goats :)

See, it's not that easy, is it? Who knew ' could cause a 2 page topic!

marr said:
Oh - and thanks for the info on ground beef. Not sure what I think about that. :(

Um yeah... ditto.... :( [/quote]

Back