goats milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolep

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Carole from South Africa. Many years ago I found a goats milk soap receipe on this site from a south african lady and I loved it but sadley lost the receipe. I have my goats milk freezing.

can I use this receipe:

castor oil 17g
coconut oil 172 g
olive oil 327g
palm oil 139g
soya bean 35g

172ml goats milk
98g caustic soda

In my mind I feel as a "goats milk" bar, there isnt very much goats milk in it? Please advise

Hi, I ran this through a soap calculator and noticed that you are mixing weight and liquid measurements (gm and ml) a bit. Per the calculator the full milk by weight should be 227g using your other ingredients as stated and the Lye as stated is about 5% SF. With that said, I discount my water when adding GM powder so I am thinking you could discount the liquid GM as you have listed. Not sure if you meant to discount the liquid so if you want full liquid it would be 227g by weight.

thsnk uou for the reply. I am not sure about discounting liquif and how it works... it boggles my mind lol. Please could you put the receipe as I would use it if you dont mind or I make mistakes.... not trying to be difficult... haveca medival condition which throws me off a bit

But you very much need to take the time to understand the principles as you should check things out even if they look okay - someone could make a typing mistake which could cause you harm if you don't know what to do. Which is why very few people post how much lye you should use - that should come directly from a lye calculator.

Water discount is better to be thought of as solution strength. We make a solution of liquid and lye- less liquid means a stronger solution, more liquid means a weaker solution.

The amount water (or goat milk) you can use is somewhat flexible. There is more than one method for determining how much water to use, and some will give you a "water discount" compared to others. It's not really a discount though, since there is no effective standard (and often the default is not desirable). A good rule of thumb, however, is to use between 30-33% lye concentration in the water, which in the case of your recipe above would be between 198 and 228 grams of liquid per the 98 grams of lye. It is okay to lean toward the high side, and use more goat milk like you want.

Most lye calculators will give you the option of reporting in lye concentration -- take a look for it in the calculator you use.

Back