Goat's Milk Soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

penelopejane

Reaction score
Hi,
I have two soaps both used the same EVOO. Both the same recipe but with three variables (yes, I know! I've already endured the lecture on scientific process).

Both 1000g = 2.4 lb.
The "hard one"' had 2 tsp of salt and 10g Citric Acid.
The "hard one" had water only and 30% lye concentration

The "slimy one" had 1 tsp of salt and 10g Citric Acid.
The "slimy one" had GM for 1/2 of the water + 150 g GM powder and 33% lye concentration.

Is it possible that the GM led to a soft, almost slimy feel?
Does CA react with GM?
Does an extra tsp of salt make that much difference?

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I would look to the lye concentration for the cause before the GM. I could be wrong, though, as I do not use CA in my soaps. I think I read something DeeAnna said about the lye concentration in Castile soap affecting sliminess.

penelopejane

Reaction score
I think I would look to the lye concentration for the cause before the GM. I could be wrong, though, as I do not use CA in my soaps. I think I read something DeeAnna said about the lye concentration in Castile soap affecting sliminess.
These are only 40% EVOO and I don't usually get slime with my OO but this is ptonounced. Just thought it might be a good idea to try another bar from the same batch. I'll do that tomorrow.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know for sure if it leads to sliminess in soap, but I am sure that milk reacts with citric acid. Just think of adding a spoonful of lemon juice to a glass of milk. You get curdled milk.

How this affects soap, I suspect depends on the mixing methodology, i.e.; when each ingredient is added and as well as the amounts used and even how much time between adding (allowing more or less time for chemical reactions to take place.) I know, could I be more vague?

TeresaT

I see you.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Are you positive you added the extra NaOH to the second (slimy) batch to compensate for the CA? I have been known to accidentally omit the extra NaOH on occasion when using CA and increased my SF. With a high amount of OO, that might produce a slimier bar. Other than that, I have no clue. (Did you ever read the post where I forgot to add the NaOH to my water and "discovered" that 25% ACV actually slows trace? Yeah, not so much. Genius happens a lot in my house.)

penelopejane

Reaction score
Are you positive you added the extra NaOH to the second (slimy) batch to compensate for the CA? I have been known to accidentally omit the extra NaOH on occasion when using CA and increased my SF. With a high amount of OO, that might produce a slimier bar. Other than that, I have no clue. (Did you ever read the post where I forgot to add the NaOH to my water and "discovered" that 25% ACV actually slows trace? Yeah, not so much. Genius happens a lot in my house.)
Yes I did that (well my notes say that I did!).
I think that would have made the bar soft rather than slimy. This is a hard bar but slimy surface. So disappointing because it looks beautiful.
This is the only bar I have made with GM and CA. I've done a few with coconut milk and CA but they are fine.

Latest posts