Goats milk soap made my skin dry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the 100% lard. Lard makes nice soaps, even at 100% I just dont love them because I am one of those people than can smell the lard on the soap and I am not a fan. I mention this since you are making unscented soap, you, or someone else might be like me and not love the “piggy” smell. But it really is a nice a bar, you should try it, even if just to see how it is. Thats what I did.
Even mixing lard and coconut as another experiment is good to try in my opinion (and this is also a beginners opinion!)

Thank you. I am bot sensitive to smell i know people like you who can, so 100% lard would be a no-no. But i will definitely try that for myself. Also the lard-coconut combo. Thank you.

As much as I love lard, I do not like a 100% lard soap. It doesn't lather well and is just too gentle.
I have made a 80% lard, 20% coconut that was very nice. Hard as a rock and lasted forever.

I am a new soapmaker, only a few months and i am making goats milk soap.

After reading all of your posts and the information you have given us, I would suggest you stop selling until you get more experience and know what you are doing. You said you are not fully ready, you keep learning and the experts advice is important (then stop selling until you are ready). Take the advice given. You want to learn from experts, but still want to sell at the same time (that doesn't work ) most people learn, experiment and then when confident in their product, then sell.

You said you didn't want your customers to think that the quality wasn't the same as before, that means you are not ready. When your friends said they wanted to buy your soap, the answer should have been no. You are not only selling to friends and their friends but to strangers in an online store.

The experienced soapers here, are happy to give suggestions and advice to newbies, but selling after a few months is a no, no. Please get your experience BEFORE selling. This is a beginners forum to learn.

Last edited:
Shunt2011: I actually have a business licence from the local government and the Internal Revenue. I didnt want to get into trouble later without it. I only lack fda licence to operate since its not easy to obtain here. The qualifications are for big companies with at least 1000 monthly moq. And making soaps in the kitchen using kitchen tools (used for soapmaking only) probably wouldnt qualify. Its not like in the US where you dont need fda for soaps if its not claiming anything but soap. Expert soapmakers in my country said i wont need fda licence yet unless i make the monthly moq, but i should still comply with the guidelines. And their organization is trying to help microenterprises by voicing out concerns to help us. And i do research, i read, i write to bramble berry and other bloggers to ask questions and i join soapmakers groups and forums. They are usually very helpful. I asked to join here because i learn so much from the posts i have read from here. When i couldnt find the answers on the internet, i ask the experts. I know i dont know much, i never claimed to be. But i know the importance of learning continually. And i try to keep myself to do only what is not complicated. Its an easy recipe that i have tried myself. I know soapmaking is not easy though it seem easy, because it deals with the skin. Thats why i make sure i test my soaps. I just want to understand what happened to this batch, and if somebody here say it cant be used, then id probably rebatch it for personal use or for laundry.

Obsidian: I could not find any palm oil here, only palm olein which is easily found at the grocery store. Olive oil is quite expensive and im not sure about lard in the market, i tried to render my own but i didnt use it yet. Thank you for the recipe, id try that if i can. Dont worry, i wont try to sell soap using this recipe (if anybody is concerned). In my country, we try to limit ingredients because your way of costing your products cant be applied here. Our retail price here is your wholesale price there. And i dont charge for my labor cost to make the soap affordable. Im not trying to make my soaps cheap, but im trying to make a good soap out of limited resources. It not really for making money. But id like people to appreciate the beauty of handmade soaps.

To everyone: Please know that im not here to cause problems or arguments, i am here to learn from your experiences and to ask for insights. Im not in anyway a competition or trying to be a disgrace in the world of soapmaking. I am trying my best here to do good in what i chose to do.
This is literally the first thread I’m reading since joining here. Time has been a struggle with getting on here. Now I’m feeling a bit intimidated to look further. I hope this isn’t a place of bullying because I will see myself outa here . But I will give it a chance and learn how to post a few questions I may have when I come across them.
Anyway I recently made my first batch of goats milk soap. I did add some extra oils and hard oils. It’s been 4 weeks and my bars are decently hard but surprisingly tacky to the touch. I’m wondering if I will have a similar outcome. I tried using a sample cut and it still lathers wonderfully and my hands feel soft afterwards but the actual soap itself feels so weird. I have zero experience with goats milk soap and have never used it before. Maybe I’m just not sure what to expect. New world to me lol.

The problem may not have anything to do with the goat's milk. Post up your recipe so we have something to base our judgement on.

This is literally the first thread I’m reading since joining here. Time has been a struggle with getting on here. Now I’m feeling a bit intimidated to look further. I hope this isn’t a place of bullying because I will see myself outa here . But I will give it a chance and learn how to post a few questions I may have when I come across them.
Anyway I recently made my first batch of goats milk soap. I did add some extra oils and hard oils. It’s been 4 weeks and my bars are decently hard but surprisingly tacky to the touch. I’m wondering if I will have a similar outcome. I tried using a sample cut and it still lathers wonderfully and my hands feel soft afterwards but the actual soap itself feels so weird. I have zero experience with goats milk soap and have never used it before. Maybe I’m just not sure what to expect. New world to me lol.

Hahaha the first few topics I read here were some pretty heated arguments! I have only been here for a few months, by the way, and if you search old topics you will find some heated arguments (shampoo bars, selling before soaping for at least a year, speeding curing time, soaps for babies, soaps for dogs, and a few more hot topics i cant remember right now. They make some entertaining reading!) But i swear for the most part you landed on a place with a bunch of very knowledgable? People that gladly help out everyone just because they can. In fact, post your recipe on your own thread and someone will help troubleshoot and give some tips and advise. I would do it myself... but i dont feel like i know enough yet. The recipe is important because there might be the problem and not on the goats milk.

If you would like to go to the intro forum seeing you are new and tell us a bit about yourself and why you have got into trying soaping. It is your choice if you stay or not, we have a wealth of people who will give you their time and information if you need help. Interact here posting and you will get to know the members.
If you need a recipe checked post a new thread in the recipe feedback section and give us your full recipe, method etc and any issues you may have. Adding to someone else's post might not get you the answers you need.

Last edited:
I think justlovely might be running into the same thing I am. I'm new to making soap and trying different recipes and scents. It's a hobby not a business. I give most of what I make away. The thing is people really like it and they want to pay me something to make more. I really don't know what to charge or even if it's legal. I'm in the US and I'm certain the FDA isn't involved but, liability issues etc. make me hesitate.

Last edited:
I think justlovely might be running into the same thing I am. I'm new to making soap and trying different recipes and scents. It's a hobby not a business. I give most of what I make away. The thing is people really like it and they want to pay me something to make more. I really don't know what to charge or even if it's legal. I'm in the US and I'm certain the FDA isn't involved but, liability issues etc. make me hesitate.

I'm not in the US, someone here might be able to inform you on the rules and regs you need to know. I would say if you are charging people for your soap, you are selling, hobby or not. I'd keep giving it away and get feedback from the recipients as an incentive to make more to get your recipies down pat. It's not all about taking money, it's about making a quality product, you only get that with experience. Keep giving it away and tell them you will sell to them maybe a year down the track when you are confident in your product.

Last edited:
I totally understand why soapers get a bit irritated when people, who are admittedly new to the game, post questions and then mention that they are selling soap without the knowledge to do so. I have made soap for 4 years and still make mistakes (see my post about using KOH) and have never sold a single bar. Additionally I give soap away all the time, nobody asks to buy, once I tell them it’s a hobby and I don’t sell. Never met anyone who begs to buy something I am willing to give.

There are many threads here with loads of links about the federal regs regarding soap. But you are wrong, the FDA is involved. https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productsingredients/products/ucm115449.htm\ Scoot down about half way to read the legal definition of soap, and then on to read what CAN define soap as a cosmetic and what WILL define it as a drug. Heavy regs in those instances, definitely worth becoming familiar with the FDA's stance on all of this.
There are also labeling regulations you would may want to know more about. I highly recommend Marie Gale's book, but here is a link to her website: https://www.mariegale.com/ingredient-labels-soap/ that can get you started. Also a link to labeling on the FDA site: https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/labeling/regulations/ucm126438.htm

Latest posts

Back