Goats milk soap help please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lottee

Reaction score
Hello, I am a novice soap maker. I'd like to make sone goats milk soap for a family member, but am worried about getting it wrong. I see that I should freeze the goat milk, but am hoping someone would share a tried and tested recipe for a small batch please?

Usually goat's milk soap is just your normal recipe with with goat milk instead of water.
Or you can do half water and half milk, but either way the oils are whatever you want.
Everyone's skin is different, lather preference is different, and soap maker's technique is different. That is why there is no perfect recipe guaranteed to be pleasing to every user or pleasing to handle for every soap maker.
If you post your recipe, and what you don't like about it or are concerned about, we can help you make it what you want.
Otherwise, if we each posted our favorite recipes, you wouldn't see many repeats. "Tried and true" is only true once you personally have tried it at least once.

You can also dissolve powdered milk in a little water and add it to your oils before adding the lye/water solution.

I use raw goat's milk. I get mine locally. Pour it in molds and freeze. Right now it's cold and I work in the garage so I just leave it in there over night with a fan blowing on it. I haven't had a gelling issue. I also never had scorched soap...ice bath or no ice bath.
You can put your mold in the freezer right before you are ready to pour. Some people do that with goat's milk/ milk soaps.

Hello, I am a novice soap maker. I'd like to make sone goats milk soap for a family member, but am worried about getting it wrong. I see that I should freeze the goat milk, but am hoping someone would share a tried and tested recipe for a small batch please?

Here you go:

Goat Milk Soap
21% Coconut Oil
21% Palm Oil (RSPO)
12% Shea Butter (natural)
41% Olive Oil
5% Castor Oil
1 tea Sodium Lactate PPO
1 tea Dispersed Kaolin Clay PPO
1 oz FO PPO (always check usage rates)

5% Super Fat
33% Lye Concentration

I freeze my Goat Milk and use an ice bath with a little added salt; I don't allow my GM Lye Solution to get above 70F. I have successfully used evaporated GM (mixed 50/50 with frozen distilled water), boxed GM, store GM and fresh GM; the evaporated GM will produce a light tan soap. If the room temperature is 75F+, you will want to refrigerate unless you want to gel your GMS (I don't). If you decided to gel, watch it carefully so it doesn't overheat.

I use raw goats milk and freeze into covered ice cube trays. I slowly mix the lye into the frozen cubes. Sometimes I’ve put the bowl into cold water in the sink, sometimes I don’t. I’ve not had problems with scorching. If anything my temperature is fairly low because I started out so paranoid taking my time lol. It’s really kind of fun watching the cubes melt and turn into a creamy liquid. It’s also a challenge to see how white you can keep it as the heat will turn it a creamy pale yellow up to a bright yellow.. depending. I listen to music while I do that and it’s pretty relaxing. I also thank my goats for sharing with me. ( I digress , easy to get off the subject lol) I’ve also taken @Zany_in_CO suggestion and after making my milk/lye solution, put it in the refrigerator to use the next day. I strain the solution into the oils because sometimes the lye will start to saponify the fat in the goat milk. Good luck and have fun!

Hi,
I used our goats milk the first time without paying too much attention to how fast I added the lye to the milk and water. It turned a yellow color because of scorching. I thought "Bonus, a free colorant!". But sadly once I brought the soap out to use, my wife banned it. She said it smelled like burned trash.... she has a much better functioning nose than I.

I do as the others recommend, freeze the cubes. I used to try to measure out exact amount I was going to use in so it would be ready. But that is a pain, I would recommend just putting them in ice cube trays and adding as close to what you want in. Then add water (or ice cubes) to get to the rest. If you add the lye slow and stir it, the heat will be easier to control. I usually have a water bath in sink and put bowl in there to cool things down. I try to keep mine below 75F if I want a more white or creamy color. But I have had temp spike up to 98F without any ill effects.

Have fun with it!

I have luck with (excuse me for not remembering who’s) method of splitting the goats milk and water...

Half the water amount in your lye solution, and equal parts GM in your oils.

So if your lye solution calls for 300g of water, then split 150g water:lye, then 150g GM into your oils.

I just leave it on the counter with a dishtowel draped over it. I am not even sure if it gels or not cause i usually do it in the middle of the night after work and then go to bed lol.

I have off today, so it looks like i am going to see now if it gels lol.

Latest posts

Back