Goat's Milk Soap... 1st batch - *cut pics added*

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nurse_75

Reaction score
This is my second batch of soap.

It is an unscented goats milk soap. It all went smoothly and I am really excited to see it unmolded tomorrow... I have learnt my lesson and am trying to be patient.

Beautiful and creamy... It looks divine at this stage.
DSC02204.jpg

Tops as per Lynn's Youtube tutorial... Thanks Lynn. I didnt have an paddle-pop stick so used a straw and it was really easy and enjoyable. I found I had to stop fussing as I just wanted to keep playing with it.
DSC02205.jpg

The little bars are not gelling at this stage.
DSC02207.jpg

I really dont know about gelling or what it will do to the final stage... Fingers crossed it turns out.
DSC02208.jpg

I will upload some cut pics tomorrow.

DSC02209.jpg

The loaf mold gelled and is obviously darker but has a nice even colour. The smaller bar of soap is distinctly whiter.
DSC02210.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Sharna

Your little bars may not gel, or not gel completely because they generate less heat due to their smaller volume. If that's the case, you may want to wait a bit longer to unmold them. And/or pop your individual cavity mold in the freezer for a couple of hours before unmolding. They will then pop out cleanly.

Your soap looks really nice. I like the textured top.

What Judy said. Wait 48 hours (sorry) and then pop into the freezer for an hour or so before unmoulding. I use those pink silicone cake moulds and if I don't do it that way, bits of soap stay in the bottom of the mould and ruin the clean, sharp look that you'd otherwise get. Looking good. :wink:

This will be a great learning experience for you and you will see the difference in texture for gelled versus ungelled.

Bubbles - I couldnt wait another 24... haha. I have the rest of the little bars in the freezer as the edges of that one did stick a little in the corners. The difference between the gelled and ungelled is interesting. I like both shades, the darker soaps have a more authentic milk soap feel, the white soap looks creamy and rich.

Sharna

They look great Sharna! That's my favourite shape of soap, done in a loaf with a bit of a textured top, although I do really like round ones too...

But great job - you can already see the improvement from your first batch and your def on your way to be a great soaper!!!!

Donna - I froze the goats milk so it was icy chunks. I dissolved the lye in a small portion of water (total deducted from the weight of goats milk) and had that sitting in an ice bath. It was all about keeping the liquids cooler and from what i understand stopping the lye from burning the milk. The sugars in the milk caramelise. I added the slushy milk to the lye in the ice bath and it went a bright orangey colour. I soaped at a reasonably low temp... around 100 i think and then left them uninsulated in my laundry once in the moulds. I live in the Far North of Qld and it is quite warm coming into summer.

I hope that helps. There are plenty of other great soapers on here who can give you tips on making a lighter goats milk soap.

Sharna

Thank you Sharna,, I think I know what I did wrong. I froze my GM and added it all to the lye and did not cool down my lye and I also wrapped it up and let it set. So I think I will try again.. I hope someday I will be able to post a pic that will look pretty.

Donna

Those look beautiful - really have to try soaping with goatsmilk. Really interesting to see the gelled vs not gelled comparison :)

You can get small batches to gel by putting the mold in a box and wrapping a blanket around it. Also, what material is that pan made of?

Aww thanks Lyn. That comment has made my day.

I shouldn't then let you in on the lustful thoughts I had about my slow-cooker while prepping dinner today. I think it isnt long for the cooking world ;)

Sharna

Back