Goats milk recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
Can you guys please review my recipe and tell me what you think?

12 oz olive oil
6.5 oz coconut oil
6.5 oz palm oil
2.5 oz avocado oil
4 oz shea butter
1 oz castor
2 oz sweet almond oil
8 oz goats milk (froze it)
5.11 oz coconut milk
4.69 oz lye

3.5 tsp titanium dioxide - divide batch and add more color to one half to make a subtle contrast.

honey - 1 tablespoon total? Or 1 tsp per pound?(how much should I add? I know it hears up. Planning on putting straight into freezer for couple hours then fridge over night)

1.5 oz scent - half spearmint essential oil and half cucumber melon fragrance oil

6% superfat

Please let me know if this looks ok?
Thanks

Hi Jenny!

If it were me, I would do this differently: I would tweak the sweet almond and castor to be equal 1.5 oz. amounts of each. The reason being because 1 oz of castor is only 2-something %, not enough to make a noticeable amount of difference.

Also- and this is just me, but I would use no more than 2 teaspoons of TD for your 2-lb. batch. The reason being because any time I have used more than 1 teaspoon TD ppo, I've ended up with chalky-feeling soap.

As for the honey, the amount is up to you. For what it's worth, my favorite amount to use is 1 tablespoon ppo. I've found that one teaspoon just isn't enough for me. I've never gone over 1 tablespoon. I fear doing so would be overkill.

Also- (if it were me) I would lower my superfat to no higher than 5% (I often superfat my milk soaps at 3%)... because of the milks. Depending on how much fat is in the milks, it's not out of the realm of possibility that your total superfat may end up closer to 10% or something- which will diminish your bubbly lather quotient.

Other than that, it all looks fine from where I'm sitting. I've never use 2 kinds of milk in the same soap before. You'll have to let us know how it turns out!

IrishLass :)

Thank you very much for the feedback. Your suggestions were about the very things I was wondering about. I've been tweaking this recipe for 2 days. My husband is like "how come you haven't made soap yet?!" it's not that easy when I'm new!
Any way thanks!

Back