goats milk recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

em79

Reaction score
Hi there im a newbie to soap making and have inly made 1 batch of CP soap it was a castille soap and it was so agonizing to have to wait for it to cure lol
Im very impatient , but the soap was successful and lasted so long in the shower . Meanwhile i opted to make HP soap because i just couldnt wait for cure times.
Ive made a killer goats milk recipe but lost it and so now i want to try this recipe you have posted , only i dont have palm oil so what is a hood substitute ? Also i dont use lard or any animal fats.
I was wandering if this would be good HP ?
Im yet to make goats milk CP . Only problem ive been having with my HP soaps is they dont ladt long in the shower any ideas on how i could get them to last longer ?

Hi. I made this is to a new thread as the other one was around 8 years old!

You can swap out lard or tallow for Palm and people seem to prefer lard for normal bar soap.

HP soap will also need as much of a cure as CP soap does, if not more. It might be safe to use as soon as it is cut, but it is a long way away from being ready to use for a good 4 weeks. Before then I find that HP is really too soft still

Edit to add - I see you don't use animal fats, but then you use the goats milk, so I am a tad confused. You can try to use butters in the soap (such as Shea), but many people did that using more than 30% butters in a soap reduces the lather a lot and gives the soap is strange feel when used. Not only that, it is really expensive.

Last edited:
"...i opted to make HP soap because i just couldnt wait for cure times. ..."

This is a common myth about HP. "Safe to use" is different than being the "best to use". Well-cured soap, regardless of CP or HP, will have better lather and last longer.

Castile, regardless of how it's made, takes an especially long time to cure, so you didn't do yourself any favors by making castile, if you're the impatient type. :-D

"...Only problem ive been having with my HP soaps is they dont ladt long in the shower any ideas on how i could get them to last longer ? ..."

First suggestion is a no-brainer -- give the soap a proper cure time.

Once you get over the idea that HP soap "cures faster" than CP, you may want to try CP and see if soap made that way will last longer for you. Some soapers think it does.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=12653
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=38596

Oh wow i have certainly alot to learn about soap then . I actually have to agree there have been batches of HP i made which were cured more than 4 weeks and did perform better your right ! I do like what can be done to CP when it comes to design so i might just start doing CP instead .

Sorry for the confusion about the fats i meant i dont use Lard or beef tallows etc
Goats milk is the only animal fat i will use.

Thanks so much for the advice guys.

If you don't want to use palm, lard, or tallow, then cocoa butter, shea butter, and other butters are going to be your best bets.

I am still confused - if you are willing to use SOME animal products, why not another? Especially when the alternative is more expensive and can be less effective

Maybe the fact that goats aren't actually killed for their milk whereas animals are slaughtered to get the meat we eat and then the fats. That was what one of my veggie friends told me anyway. Vegans won't do any of it, fats or honey, silk, etc... but vegetarians will use GM soaps or soaps with honey no problem for the most part. JMO

Oh and here is an old recipe I used to make before I started using palm you can try and tweak for yourself if you'd like. To help with hardness I added some SL to the lye water before adding to my oils or you can make a salt water solution using a portion of your water amount of your recipe. The recipe is
OO 12.2 oz (45%)
CO 5.4 oz (20%)
castor 1.4 oz (5%)
Cocoa butter 4.1 oz (15%)
shea butter 4.1 oz (15%)
lye 103 grams (SF 6%)
water/goat milk 9.1 oz (27.8% lye solution strength for HP)
SL (up to 3%) or salt water solution

Optional: I added GMP instead of liquid GM to my oils and blended well before adding my lye water

This came out to approx. $1.25 per bar my cost so it's a relatively low cost recipe depending on who you get your supplies from. :)

Maybe the fact that goats aren't actually killed for their milk whereas animals are slaughtered to get the meat we eat and then the fats. That was what one of my veggie friends told me anyways. Vegans won't do any of it, fats or honey, silk, etc... but vegetarians will use GM soaps or soaps with honey no problem for the most part. JMO

Thankyou for saying it for me . Yes basically its got to do with how animals are slaughtered.

Oh thankyou so much for that recipe I'm gonna try it tonight soapmage

I am still confused - if you are willing to use SOME animal products, why not another? Especially when the alternative is more expensive and can be less effective

Basically its how Soapmage said it .
It got to do with the way an animal is slaughtered I'm not vegan but have strict reasons to what i use.

Soapmage your recipe looks great I'm gonna give it a go tonite . Im wondering if i can use copha in the recipe as a hard oil im not sure if copha is available in America it might be named something else over there.

Hi Dillsandwitch I actually have access to palm oil just forget to go get it when I'm up in that area. Palm is mentioned so much how much does it effect your soap quality?

From Wikipedia: "...Copha, a registered trademark of Peerless, is a form of vegetable fat shortening made from hydrogenated coconut oil...."

So, yes, you can use it as coconut oil ... because it basically IS coconut oil. :)

Last edited:
Em,_ Copha is coconut oil in the supermarkets here. I used that when I first started.

Hi Dillsandwitch I actually have access to palm oil just forget to go get it when I'm up in that area. Palm is mentioned so much how much does it effect your soap quality?

Palm oil helps the longevity/hardness, conditioning and creaminess of the bar. From what people say Lard>Tallow>Palm - I have only used palm oil so I can't say.

Last edited:
Palm oil helps the longevity/hardness, conditioning and creaminess of the bar. From what people say Lard>Tallow>Palm - I have only used palm oil so I can't say.

I find my palm bars last a little longer than my tallow bars. but not by much. i prefer the creaminess of the tallow bars. Now if I could find lard that would be great to try but it looks like woolies and coles in my area dont sell it. Doesn anyone know if Aussie costco sells it? There is one in sydney but I dont wanna drive all that way and pay the entry fee if they dont have it and I have enough toilet paper..... hahahaha

Back