Goat's milk in soapcalc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mare61

Reaction score
Is it just me, but I can't find the goat's milk in the soapcalculator, only Bovine. Goat's milk has different properties than cow's milk right. What do I have to do to figure out goat's milk. I made some soaps using 60 % goat's milk and 40 % vegetable shortening and I really like the feel of it, but I would like to know how the conditioning, cleansing levels are.

Thank you so much for your help!

what your seeing listed under the oils is an additive that has nothing to do with cows milk or goats milk that is used as part of your liquids.

So no worries, simply use the given water amount and use the desired liquid of choice.

I really dislike that they say 'water', because it should say liquid because water isn't the only liquid that can be used.

Thanks for your quick replay, faity. But how do I figure out the "goodness" of goat's milk in my soaps????????

Faithy, question. Are you saying that you substitute the goat milk for the water?? And what would you recommend percentagewise. Do you substitute the entire water with goat milk or certain percentages of each??? I just bought some goat milk and was getting ready to ask the same questions. Thanks k.

The other day, I made a batch of soap that contained no water. None, except the water that I used to make green tea. I took the recommended amound of liquid, and used 1/2 green tea and 1/2 goat's milk. The next time I do that, I will freeze my green tea though. Adding the lye directly to the green tea made it overheat and turn black. I am told that if I will freeze my green tea, then add the lye to the "tea cubes", the tea will not overheat. You can do the same with the goat's milk.

"Water" is confusing. It sounds as if you have to use water. You DON'T!! You can use many things for the liquid. Some use aloe vera juice, some use goat's milk, some even use tomato juice, some use combinations. It's up to you!! But, be aware that if you use anything other than water, you might want to freeze it first. It helps prevent overheating the liquid when the lye is added!

Faithy, did I do alright??????

Good luck,
Robert

What do you mean by the 'goodness' of your bar exactly? First time i've heard that term being used.

gallery yes that is exactly what I'm saying. When the lye calculator says you need 12 ounces of water for example you can use whatever liquid you want pretty much.

So if you need 12 ounces of what they say water (liquid would be a better choice. you can use all or a combination of your choice of liquids to toal that 12 ounces or whatever amount you need.

What type of GM did you find? Was it fresh canned or powdered?

I buy the canned so you need to remember to use 1 part GM and 1 part water (I use aloe vera juice) to dilute it. But don't be quick to mix them. So if my recipe calls for 12 ounces of liquid, I use 6 ounces of aloe vera juice and mix that with my lye and the 6 ounces of canned GM I add at trace.

Oh and if you haven't tried the RTCP soap I highly suggest it. It saves time and energy !!! And is much faster and easier as well. Thanks to Paul for telling about it !!!

beebiz said:
The other day, I made a batch of soap that contained no water. None, except the water that I used to make green tea. I took the recommended amound of liquid, and used 1/2 green tea and 1/2 goat's milk. The next time I do that, I will freeze my green tea though. Adding the lye directly to the green tea made it overheat and turn black. I am told that if I will freeze my green tea, then add the lye to the "tea cubes", the tea will not overheat. You can do the same with the goat's milk.

"Water" is confusing. It sounds as if you have to use water. You DON'T!! You can use many things for the liquid. Some use aloe vera juice, some use goat's milk, some even use tomato juice, some use combinations. It's up to you!! But, be aware that if you use anything other than water, you might want to freeze it first. It helps prevent overheating the liquid when the lye is added!

Faithy, did I do alright??????

Good luck,
Robert

You did just fine Robert !!!!!

Or you could use aloe vera juice as part of your liquid to mix with your lye and steep your tea in water or aloe vera juice even and add the tea part at trace like we do with goat's milk.........

Aloe Vera can be purchased in wal-mart or Sams Club. It's cheaper in Sams but we don't have one close and I can get membership to one but I don't get there often enough to justify the membership. (not when i can just ask my parents pick me up whatever I need when they go.)

But aloe at walmart is found in the laxative section and is in a gallon jug and cost about $7.50 (at sams i think it's about $5.50)

Faithy, sorry about the "goodness". English isn't my first language.
I meant the condition, cleansing, hardness levels of my soap. The MMS calculator uses goat fat in his calculations but it doesn't give you those levels. I know you and some other people on here use goats milk instead of water. But I'm trying to make a soap that uses a bigger procentage of goats milk. :oops:

Your english is Great !!!!! But I just hadn't heard of that term before which is ok,

I dont try and sit and figure all that in. Rather go by my oils and what they do, and just know that the extra fats in the milk products (because I use both GM and heavy cream) will be an added bonus.

Thanks everyone for your guidance! I bought my goat milk from the dairy section of the grocery store. Think it will be okay?!? I was going to freeze it in ice cube trays - someone here recommended that - so Robert, yes, I will follow your direction there as well. Also, after hearing so much about RTCP - I am definitely going to do that as well. k

Your lucky to have 'fresh' !!! I can't find that anywhere near here.

But I would only freeze what your not going to use. (I freeze my extra in baby bottles actually.)

But instead of dealing with frozen GM use most of your liquid as goats milk and the rest as water or aloe vera juice and mix that with your lye and add your liquid room temp GM at trace. It seems to work better that way.

That's one reason why I like the canned. I can claim all the liquid is GM because it's concentrated and I can keep the two parts of the whole seperate until I'm ready to use them. But when I mix it all together the liquid as match up 1 part to 1 part in the final product.

Hi!

Milk helped to lower the PH in soaps - especially Goats Milk. It also contains lactic acid that makes the bar harder and gives you a rich creamy lotiony lather after cure. The milk fats also help to condition your skin as well.

Calcium is supposed to be good for the skin - but whether it stays intact throughout the soaping process is a mystery. You'd have to have a bar analyzed to find out.

I don't refrigerate my farmers sold goats milk as i use soured gm in my soaps. The lactic acid increases and makes even a harder bar of soap. I have never, in almost 3 years, made a batch that does NOT contain goat's milk! I am a GM soapier! I started using the canned Meyenberg GM sold in stores like Faithy uses. That is fine but if you can get the fresh, it is even better. I only take a 4 to 5% lye discount as the fat in the GM and the fact that is does indeed lower the pH of your soap be several points and is a very mild soap. I use GM, silk, and of course, aloe vera juice. been doing it this way for 2 years. I have not froze GM at least for 1-1/2 years as I have been doing the Soapmaker man RTCP for way over a year now! RT master-batch made in 2 gallon jugs, and RT 50% lye solution with aloe vera juice and silk made in 1/2 gallon HDPE safe jugs! Soap making and eating my sandwich all during my 30 minute lunch break......love it! :wink:

Paul :wink:

Neil said:
Paul:
do you add any preservative to your GM soap?

Nope! In over 2 years of making exclusively GM soap, never had to, and I have some of my soaps that are close to 2 years old now I kept back. Perfect condition, no DOS, no anything, still smells and super hard.

Paul

Paul,

I use fresh goat's milk from a farm. What is the purpose of having it soured?

jackie

campbellsoap said:
Paul,

I use fresh goat's milk from a farm. What is the purpose of having it soured?

jackie

It never really smells sour at all! It doesn't even curdle like bovine milk does.
The "souring" process produces more lactic acid and thus, makes the bar harder. I buy the milk by the 1/2 gallon from a farmer and sometimes he just gives me a few days old milk. I give him soap in return. Here is a picture of the goat milk jug I leave on my soap table all the time! Never refrigerate!

Michele006.jpg

Thanks Paul!

I just bought 2 gallons today because I have to drive a bit to get it now. I hope in the spring the goat farm near my house will start up with goats milk again.

jackie

Back