Goatmilk & Oats

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danasmom

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a goatmilk and oatmeal soap. Here is my question:
Instead of adding the ground up oats at trace would it be possible to soak the oats in the goatmilk and then add the lye to the milk. I'm thinking that this way the oats could release some of their nutrition into the milk. Has anybody done this before and with what results.

Thanks

Eeek! Don't do it!!

I did this once (mixing the ground oats with the milk and adding the lye to it), and it was a complete and utter disaster. I had to throw the whole thing out. It turned into instant goo as soon as the lye hit my milk/oats, and I ended up with stubbornly undissolved lye bits everywhere. :x It was a horrible fiasco, it really was. You're way much better off adding the oats at trace. Trust me. I wouldn't wish the mess that I ended up with on anyone.

IrishLass

Edited to add that if you still would like to add your oats to the milk, you can set aside a portion of your milk amount to add with the oats and add at trace, while the majority or rest of your milk amount gets mixed with the lye. That would work much better than mixing the oats and milk with lye.

I have taken my oats and coarsely chopped them in a coffee grinder, letting them sit overnight in water. You get oat-milk and it's proteins and skin softening stuff. I mix the oat-milk with my goats milk and soap as usual. I also use colloidal oats, or babies oats in my soaps at times. HTH's. :wink:

Paul

Latest posts

Back