Goat tallow from a he-goat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ladka

Reaction score
I've been just given goat tallow + sheep tallow in raw state. I'm going to cut and melt it. It is obtained from a he-goat and from a ram. The Soapmaking Recipe Builder & Lye Calculator gives SAPs for sheep 0.138 and for goat 0.137. I'm so grateful for the calculator to do all the calculation work for me. When I started making soap in spring 2013 I only had one recipe (given at the course) but soon wanted to tweak it. I did all the calculation by hand, and then I discovered our forum and then the lovely calculator came.

But I'm digressing. As I haven't yet had the opportunity to use goat tallow I'd appreciate any advice from more experienced soapers.

I‘ve had 1 lb of goat tallow when I started trying more animal fats. I only used it in place of beef tallow in a recipe and worked well enough, slighter harder than beef tallow when I used at 20%
I won't buy it again as it's more expensive than beef tallow but it would work fine.

Anstarx, can you assess the longevity of this soap?
Personally I don't care too much about longevity so I didn't pay much attention to it. However, as far as fatty acid profile goes I'd say it's pretty similar to beef tallow. According to the fatty acid listed on soapcalc their palmitic acid is similar but goat tallow has more stearic acid so it should be slightly longer-lasting than beef tallow but probably not by that much.
The one soap I used was a facial soap and I've been using it since February. I don't use it daily but it still looked pretty much the same size these days.

Thank you, Anstarx.
I'm interested in a soap recipe offering best longevity after frequent use in a bathroom (five boys using it).
What other oils did you use in the recipe?

The batch I made was aiming for an avocado-themed facial soap so it might be too fancy for a hand or shower bar but feel free to try.
Palm Kernel 5%
Tallow 30% (20 goat and 10 beef because I ran out of beef)
Olive 40%
Avocado 20%
Castor 5%
With avocado puree for liquid and green clay for color.
I recently revamped it to get rid of the PKO and swapped some olive with rice bran and sweet almond to make it more gentle and cost-effective.

It had a slimey lather which I don't mind in the beginning, and only started to have actual bubbles after at least 6 months' cure. If children use it, the lack of bubbles may actually make them use it more so I'm not sure if it's best option hahaha.
Usually soaps that are long-lasting and hard mean they are high in stearic or palmitic acid, which are the two fatty acids that only have small conditioning lather.

Edit: I remember reading your post about want to make soaps for 5 boys. Since it's hard to keep the soap dry between use the soap will always be soft.
I have a suggestion tho: How about make one soap for every kid? Use different colorants to differentiate and add a rope so maybe they can hang them by the sink. This way soaps can get to dry between uses and not be used that often. Kids can also enjoy their own soap.

Last edited:
I'm interested in a soap recipe offering best longevity after frequent use in a bathroom (five boys using it).

Boys you say? Should last forever then. HEHEHEHE Sorry, couldn't resist.

Having a hard bar of soap isn't going to do a lot of good if that bar doesn't produce lather. I have a green bar of soap that has been in the shower since the beginning of the year because no one wants to use it because it doesn't lather well. Mind you, it's a good bar of soap...it cleans, it leaves your skin feeling nice, but until I started using it recently just to get it used up, there was very little shrinkage despite the fact that it was getting splashed on every day. But because it doesn't produce a lot a lather, even with a bath pouf, it's starting to shrink more than our other soaps because I'm having to use more of it.

And even the most well balanced bar of soap it's going to last with seven people using it all the time, though a bar in the bath will probably last longer than a bar at the sink.

Back