Goat Milk Soap + Sulfur, ORANGE during saponification

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueberrylolli

Reaction score
I made a small batch of goat milk soap and at trace it was still looking yellowish white and smelled nice. I added 5% sulfur mixed with castor oil at trace, mixed it well and poured into mold, at this point it was still whiteish and smelling like goat milk + sulfur. I let it sit to saponify and when I just checked on it (about 6 hours), it's turned very orange and it has a pretty bad smell. what could have happened and is this soap still usable :(

I'm not sure, but isn't sulfur pretty smelly and yellow? I'd let it sit a while and see if it mellows.

it's typical and it'll be fine. they say that the orange is because you scorched your soap. I dunno about that but regardless the orange fades to tan and the ammonia stink cures out in short order.

yes it's for acne lolz. i added 5% sulfur to total soap weight (oil, lye, water) carried with castor oil at trace.

the sulfur soap i found on amazon had weird ingredients didn't want to try that and i got a 10% bar online (when you search sulfur soap) but it was a horrible experience, took a long time to come, unresponsive, and the soap was too drying. so i decided to try my own milder version lol

I've heard sulfur has pore-reducing qualities... not sure if that's true, but I know it helps my own oily skin.

I wish it was put in more OTC products!

guess that's more incentive to make my own stuff. :)

Latest posts

Back