Goat Milk Soap Separation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGecko

Reaction score
I made my first batch of GMS yesterday and put it to bed in the garage. Silicone mold, lightly covered with plastic wrap and a sweat jacket. Pulled it out this morning and it looked a little pitted on top with about maybe, 3/8" of floating oil.

Pulled it out of the mold, set it on some paper towels and cut a 1" bar off the end. Except for the top, it was smooth and creamy and it lathered up beautifully.

The recipe is a basic one; olive, coconut, palm, and castor oils, along with proper amounts of kaolin clay and sodium lactate; 30% lye concentration. I was using Evaporated Goat Milk. Recipe calls for 10.89 of water, so I used just a tad over 5 0z of the milk that I had frozen into cubes the night before. No issues making the lye solution...it got warm, but not hot. It did thicken up and get a little 'grainy', but I expected that as the lye started to bind with the fat in the milk. Blended to a medium trace and poured. looked like creamy liquid silk.

Research says the soap overheating, but except for the little bit of pitting on top, that can be planed off, there was no soap on the plastic wrap and no 'holes' in the soap. So I'm wondering if I 'superfatted' it too much?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Yes, that was caused from overheating. Your superfat amount wouldn't have caused that put insulating your soap in a hot garage would.

What was your sf amount to begin with? With that much oil on top I would worry about your soap being lye heavy.

Just 5oz. And 3/16" of oil; too many number running around in my head today.

Thank you everyone. The GMS is currently on vacation, I just checked and it's not nearly as 'oily' as it was at 9am (it's around 3pm now).

I still had frozen milk so I decided to make a smaller batch this time and used an ice bath so the lye didn't get above 75 F. I also put it in the frig with just a piece of wax paper over it (only adults in the house). We shall see how it goes.

Back