Goat Milk Soap (Not Powdered)?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinkativeone

Reaction score
I need to learn how to make goat milk soap from the actual milk - this will be raw goat milk. Do you just use it in place of distilled water? What's a good palm oil free recipe for goat milk soap from raw goat milk? Will I absolutely need to use therms? :confused: Thanks! I use organic oils and have access to plenty of coconut and extra virgin olive oil. However, my primary supplier for other things like organic cocoa and organic shea butter is no longer reliable for me to order from (Mountain Rose Herbs).

Last edited:
You can use goats milk as your liquid in just about any recipe.
Just make sure you keep the temperatures low, and I personally prefer to prevent gel.
To use it as 100% of the liquid, freeze the milk, gently add your lye to it and stir.

Somewhat off topic -- why is MRH unreliable for you now?

I use goat's milk but only as half my liquid. I dissolve my lye un water and then add my milk to my oils, stickblend well and then add my lye mixture. I always gel my soaps and just check on them periodically to make sure they don't overheat. But certainly try the 100% frozen just to see how it works. I've done it a time or two.

Thank you; I will do that when I try it! :)

Forgot to mention, the lye solution can look a bit curdled that way; the lye starts to saponify the milk fat before it's added to the oils.
There's nothing wrong with it and it has no effect on your soap ;)

My buttermilk does turn a bright yellow that mellows to an off white during the cure, but I haven't noticed any change with other milk.

Do Not Want to Fight with Those of You That Love MRH

Somewhat off topic -- why is MRH unreliable for you now?

First they said they were making their shopping cart better, so they were re-doing it to make it fancier, so to speak. THEN, they removed that and said they were having technical difficulties - which has been going on for months without being fixed. Affiliates no longer get paid when people click on their links to MRH. You do not get an automatic bulk discount in your shopping cart, they tell you they will manually apply it later. Looked on FB and tons of people are not getting their orders and are also receiving horrible customer service like we did.

I received some of the worst "customer service" of my life from them and it's truly painful to even go into it. Suffice to say in a nutshell I needed something for a medical application and we had to pay over the phone (which we share), the person had an accent so it was not understood that the item I needed was out-of-stock, or I would not have placed the order. There was a death before I could get the item in time to use it (could not find it anywhere else either); and MRH did not apologize (or offer to give me a notification when it came in stock, whenever I signed up for that in the past on their website it NEVER worked) and literally argued with me over the representative having such a thick accent that they were not understandable. When I responded they took to IGNORING me flat-out, TWICE. I was polite and businesslike with them, asked how they could fix it and they didn't even offer to help. Think I'm going to trust my locally-born-and-raised DH knowing someone is not from around here over what the rep said claiming they were (MRH is somewhat local to us and DH is from here). Huge mess. Don't think I can trust them ever again.

Last edited:
Thinkativeone -- Your experience with MRH sounds really painful, and I can appreciate why you feel the way you do about the company. You will get no fight from my end -- you are sharing what your experience has been and I respect that. Thank you so much for answering my question. --DeeAnna

Last edited:
Thanks for understanding, DeeAnna. It made me really sad, because I was a very loyal customer and ADORED them prior to this. But we've never been treated so badly. I kind of suspect perhaps new management for so many things to be going wrong at one time, for so long. (Btw, I am not an affiliate actually, but I wanted to note that because it isn't stated in many places and lots of affiliates are still posting their links in blogs and not gaining anything from it.) :/ HTH people.

There are some really awesome suppliers in the US that you can order from and get good service. I'm not from the US so I don't have a lot of experience with any of the ones I'm thinking of but hopefully others will chime in.

When I am making goat milk soap I also freeze it and then I put my mixing cup into ice cold water to keep the milk as cold as possible while mixing. Slow and steady is the name of the game with milks....

There are some really awesome suppliers in the US that you can order from and get good service. I'm not from the US so I don't have a lot of experience with any of the ones I'm thinking of but hopefully others will chime in.

When I am making goat milk soap I also freeze it and then I put my mixing cup into ice cold water to keep the milk as cold as possible while mixing. Slow and steady is the name of the game with milks....

I may try Jedward's International, as they have a lot of certified organic stuff, shipping is just really, really bad since they're on the east coast but it may still be worth it in smaller orders... The only other similar place is Starwest Botanicals. I think what will be hardest is finding organic types of tea, witch hazel and other things I've come to depend on - I bought all my organic seasonings for cooking in bulk among other things from MRH. Probably placed at least 4 BIG orders per year, and regularly scavenged their special offers.

I will definitely freeze the goat milk first, and I'll have to figure out which container I have will be safe to place the lye solution plastic container into (the one that will have ice water in it).

Can anyone tell me how low the temps need to be when mixing oils and lye/milk solution? Room temp, or a specific temp range? Thanks guys! :p

I freeze my goats milk in an ice cube tray, and then keep the ice blocks in a large ziplock bag in the freezer - that way I can just measure out how much I need for each recipe whenever I want to make a GM soap. (It's a bit of a chore to freeze batch after batch of GM ice cubes, but the effort upfront makes it easier later .....)

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I freeze my goats milk in an ice cube tray, and then keep the ice blocks in a large ziplock bag in the freezer - that way I can just measure out how much I need for each recipe whenever I want to make a GM soap. (It's a bit of a chore to freeze batch after batch of GM ice cubes, but the effort upfront makes it easier later .....)

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

That's an awesome idea, thanks for sharing it! I'll have to get more ice cube trays, or actually I think I have a few that should work for this. :D I have a friend with goats so that way I can get the goat milk right up front in a week or two and prep it so when I'm ready, it's ready. Woo-hoo!

Back