Goat milk -powdered, evaporated??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kniquy

Reaction score
I have been making CP soap for a few months now (about 6) I wanted to start experimenting with goat milk. At walmart I saw - evaporated goat milk and powdered goat milk, as well as regular goat milk. Is there anything in particular which i need to look for in a goat milk product?

I read on one site that you can take the goat milk powder and combine with the oil -- I would think you would want to combine with the water- does anyone have advice on using this?

Depending on how fine the milk powder is, you can combine it with oils. I would probably mix the dry milk with a little water & make sure it was fully dissolved before mixing with oil.

I always mix my Goat Milk powder in my oils. I know some say they get specks of the powdered gm when doing it this way, but I never have. In fact, it seems to dissolve better for me in the oils. Also I only use gm powder because I soap with vinegar as 50% of my liquid, this way I can add as much as I want.

I always mix my Goat Milk powder in my oils. I know some say they get specks of the powdered gm when doing it this way, but I never have. In fact, it seems to dissolve better for me in the oils. Also I only use gm powder because I soap with vinegar as 50% of my liquid, this way I can add as much as I want.

Yes I find it mixes much better with the oils also.

is there any certain ratio or amount of goat milk powder to add per pound of soap? could you potentially add too much?

There are a number of posts about this.
You will be much better info from searching for them in the search section. They go over all the types and process

is there any certain ratio or amount of goat milk powder to add per pound of soap? could you potentially add too much?

It depends..... for example, if you want to make the equivalent of a 100% goat milk batch, i.e., a batch made with all goat milk as your liquid, take a look at the GM powder container to see how much powder is needed to make an 8oz glass of goat milk. Using their ratio of powder to water, you can then easily calculate how much powder to add to your batch to make the equivalent of a '100% goat milk' batch.

If winging it, then potentially, yes- I suppose you could possibly add too much, making a soap with either too little lather or too crumbly of a texture, but you'll be safe using the powder to water ratio on the canister as your guide.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back