Goat Milk on calculator?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyGal

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a soap calculator that has goat's milk on it? Soapcalc doesn't, so the "numbers" on it aren't accurate (hardness, fatty acids, etc.) when configuring a recipe with goat's milk in it....

Thanks.

Thank you gratia... no, I'm looking for the values that soapcalc provides.... Hardness, cleansing, bubbly lather, creamy lather, etc, as well as the percentage of all the fatty acids in the finished soap, such as Lauric, Linoleic, Linolenic, Myristic, Oleic, Palmitic, etc, etc...... this helps you put together a recipe better, so that you know what qualities the finished soap will have.... i.e., if you have a high number in your Oleic area, you know that you will have a very conditioning soap.

But thanks for your input :)

I have used soapcalc.com from the start of my soap career almost 4 years ago. If it calls for XX amount of liquids, I use that much goats milk. All I make is goat milk soap, over 500 batches now. :)

Paul :wink:

Soapygal, I don't think you find the various types of milk that are used as part or all of the liquid included in sap calculators because the average ruminant on test produces about 3.9% milkfat. That means that if you made a soap recipe that called for 10 oz of goats milk, approximately .4 oz would be made up of milkfat. Assuming that the milk is used to replace 100% of your water, and depending on your particular recipe and the size of liquid discount you take, you could possibly be mixing that into 40 oz of oils. It winds up not making a whole heck of a lot of difference.

If you're interested in the specific fatty acids in goats milk, here's a good article. A little technical, but actually a good read once you get going, and it identifies 16 different fatty acids present in goats milk.

http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/113/1/219.pdf

Agreeing totally with happyday! It just adds a little more fat to the finished bar of soap. So instead of a 5% discount, when using GM, you are just upping your super fat content. :)

Paul :wink:

Back