Goat milk delivery!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallerygirl

Reaction score
Now, for those of you who make an income on your soaps and b&b products, this may not seem like much, but someone just brought me a gallon of fresh goat milk. Geesh, I am going to have it coming out my ears. :lol: As I don't sell my stuff, I do have a lot. I am freezing it, but if this keeps up....well, I will need to buy a small deep freeze. :) k

Sounds great! I don't freeze or even refrigerate mine. I have the 1/2 gallon glass old style jugs and leave it capped sitting on my soap table. Other than shaking it to keep it from separation, that is it. It is still sweet smelling. I want it to sour, but it won't! :? :shock: The soured goats milk makes a harder bar and since there are no curds, no stink, it works great!

Paul

:shock: For how long Paul???? I mean, you have a business, so you are constantly making soap, me, well - it is pleasure and I only soap several times a week and sometimes not even that. Surely I couldn't keep it out that long??? right?? k

I have had a jug of GM sitting on my table for months now! I don't make soap every week even. :( I make soap molds every day. :lol: Tell you what; take a couple cups out and place in a sealed Ziploc baggie or one of those disposable plastic containers. Put it up in an inconspicuous place and check back in 1 week. Open it up and sniff. It will smell nice and sweet. It just does not rot like cows milk!

Paul

Well, why???????? Paul, inquiring minds want to know. That doesn't seem nautural. lol Interesting......k

Milk has lactic acid. Souring milk produces more lactic acid. Lactic acid is a hardener for soaps. That is the reason! :wink:

Paul

geesh Paul...I want to be like you when I grow up. 8) Actually, it was driving me crazy so I looked it up ln the net. There are mixed feelings out there about refrigeration/non-refrigeration, but as we are making soap with the milk, I will go with the non-refrigeration/freezing option. Thanks so much for the information Paul!!! Your the best. :wink: k

The saponification process kills any bacteria that might be in the milk. Since soap is a salt, bacteria could not survive inside anyways. Unrefrigerated GM is 100% safe for making soap. :wink: I really like the glass 1/2 gallon milk jugs with the black cap to store t in. I think in my pics I posted yesterday in the project forum, you can see the glass jug.
Sometimes I mix GM with coconut milk and leave them in the jug, unrefrigerated, different jug though. :)

Paul

Hello!

So glad you brought this up gallerygirl...I had terrible luck freezing GM. The soap had little flecks of the cream...great lather but not eye candy....lol.

Thank you Paul for sharing that...I will certainly try it...I love GM soap. Is this only applicable with fresh GM?

ellen said:
Hello!

So glad you brought this up gallerygirl...I had terrible luck freezing GM. The soap had little flecks of the cream...great lather but not eye candy....lol.

Thank you Paul for sharing that...I will certainly try it...I love GM soap. Is this only applicable with fresh GM?

Hi Ellen. I have made up GM using the Meyenberg powdered GM and stored it the same way with equal results. Also Meyenberg sells GM in quart sizes at any Wal-Mart Supercenter. Look for it in the refrigerated milk section:)

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
ellen said:
Hello!

Hi Ellen. I have made up GM using the Meyenberg powdered GM and stored it the same way with equal results. Also Meyenberg sells GM in quart sizes at any Wal-Mart Supercenter. Look for it in the refrigerated milk section:)

Paul

I bought some about 2 weeks ago, used some to make soap and now I have it in the fridge...wonder if it is still safe to use. Not that I have any lye!!!!!

Dang, I didn't see gm in our Walmart supercenter in the refrig. section. I saw the evap. and the powdered kind. hummmm. k

ps - day 3 with goat milk out and guess what - it is still fine. lol

DFP, that is nothing in the refrigerator! Take what is left, put it outside the fridge, and then make soap. :) Wait until I do the demo in TN and tell everyone I'm using unrefrigerated, month old GM! :lol:

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
DFP, that is nothing in the refrigerator! Take what is left, put it outside the fridge, and then make soap. :) Wait until I do the demo in TN and tell everyone I'm using unrefrigerated, month old GM! :lol:

Paul

LOL

Paul - Does the GM show signs of separating at all? The GM I bought had a layer of cream on top. It's not like the Myenberger. I think that is why I had the specks in my soap. I tried everything this side of Sunday to keep it incorporated. Any ideas? Did I maybe buy bad GM????

Ellen the fats will raise to the top, water to the bottom. This happens about every 3rd day. I just shake the crap out of it and its good to use. It is smooth as, well, milk! :lol:

Paul

Thanks Paul - I'm off to the deep freeze to start melting my cubes I had the brain storm to freeze the milk in icecube trays for easier measuring. Was it ever a mess. Must have four 2 gallon bags of GM cubes.

I have been giving my gm a good shake daily per Paul's advice and I have had no problems. k

I thawed one 2 gallon bag of GM cubes last night and today still have little tiny specks...guess I will shake the daylights out of it then strain and see what happens. Next trip to the store I will buy fresh (store bought fresh) and try this...

Latest posts

Back