Goat Milk Curds? Stearic Spots?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope this picture shows the spots well enough for you all to see. I've been working with soy wax and goat milk since January and think I have found the recipe I really like. Because of the challenge to keep the temperature right for both the goat milk and the soy wax, I tend to have more stearic spots. The soap on the right shows how it normally turns out. The soap on the left acted different. I made the same recipe, used the same essential oils and the same clays. The only thing I did different was I added the clays and spirulina after dividing the batch and stirring with a spoon at emulsion until it looked like it was blended well. (The soap on the right was used with a green/spirulina clay emulsion and divided then adding kaolin to 1/2 to lighten) I used the stick blender with the soap on the right. I also made a bigger batch with the soap on the left...which is why I was trying to go slower... I poured some soap in smaller molds and the rest in a loaf. When I removed the soap on the left from the mold, there were clumps of white..Clay? Fat? but also those little clumps were weeping tiny drops of liquid. The smaller molds did not. Today there's no weeping, it smells ok, but all the spots have turned a yellow color. I'm not the best at explaining and hopefully you can see the picture well enough . If any of you could help me out with what may have happend I would appreciate it. Please ask any questions!View attachment 57039

Last edited:
Discolored stearic spots clay (2).jpg
I'm sorry, does this picture show better? The larger white areas were leaking litte drops. I mixed the EO in kaolin clay and was wondering maybe if I just didn't mix it enough? I just wasn't sure about the little moisture drops from those areas. Thanks so much!

Latest posts

Back