Goat milk CP question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckscent

Reaction score
Goat milk CP question updated PIC

I just poured my first goats milk. After the pour how long do you leave in the fridge? 24 hrs? More? Less?

Here is the cut

URL=http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/buckscent2003/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb5krpjot.jpeg.html]
image_zpsb5krpjot.jpeg
[/URL]

Last edited:
I typically don't have enough room in the fridge/freezer for a whole loaf of soap but I would 'think' overnight would probably be long enough. Just make sure if you freeze it, you allow the loaf to come back to room temp before attempting to slice.

My cheat for milk soap is to freeze the milk before adding lye . . . that way I only have to find enough room to freeze the milk instead of a whole loaf of soap! So far I've been able to avoid gel/partial gel using the frozen milk method. In some batches I've used frozen milk as a total water replacement but I wanted to give a heads up if you try it. The frozen milk can turn an orange-y color when the lye hits it but once you add it to your oils and stickblend it ends up a creamy color.

I typically don't have enough room in the fridge/freezer for a whole loaf of soap but I would 'think' overnight would probably be long enough. Just make sure if you freeze it, you allow the loaf to come back to room temp before attempting to slice.

My cheat for milk soap is to freeze the milk before adding lye . . . that way I only have to find enough room to freeze the milk instead of a whole loaf of soap! So far I've been able to avoid gel/partial gel using the frozen milk method. In some batches I've used frozen milk as a total water replacement but I wanted to give a heads up if you try it. The frozen milk can turn an orange-y color when the lye hits it but once you add it to your oils and stickblend it ends up a creamy color.

Thats what I did, froze first, added lye with ice around it. Think it was 75 when i added to 105 oils. But I thought gel phase would turn it brown from the heat just like the heat would do withoug the cold......

Did it initially turn orange-y like I described but look creamy by the time your poured it in the mold? It might not have discolored if you mixed the lye solution in an ice bath. It sounds like your oils were fairly cool but still fluid when you added the lye solution so that's a plus too. Did you use any additives (sugar/honey) or a FO that might generate heat? If not, you'll probably be just fine leaving the soap sitting out instead of in the fridge . . . that's been my experience for what it's worth.

Did it initially turn orange-y like I described but look creamy by the time your poured it in the mold? It might not have discolored if you mixed the lye solution in an ice bath. It sounds like your oils were fairly cool but still fluid when you added the lye solution so that's a plus too. Did you use any additives (sugar/honey) or a FO that might generate heat? If not, you'll probably be just fine leaving the soap sitting out instead of in the fridge . . . that's been my experience for what it's worth.

No, not really yellowing, started getting a little tracey, I assume from the fat in the milk, poured fine and when I blended looked like any other time. FO was a Christmas one, no honey or anything. I wanted my first one simple.... I used a lot of soft oils, a slow trace swirling recipe

I can tell you that my soaps all have milk and they come out a light cream color. I can get them white with a bit of TD. I gel all my soaps as I'm inpatient and want to unmold and get them curing. However, I should add that I use 50/50 split to mix the lye and add powdered to equal all milk (coconut, goats, buttermilk).

I use frozen milk in an bath, when using milk as the liquid. I put my milk soap in the freezer instead of the refrigerator and leave it in the freezer for a day or two.

I do the same as shunt. Mix the lye with 1/2 water add the milk (mixed with powdered milk to make 100% milk) to the oils then I CPOP in the oven at 100*F but turn it off as soon as I put the wrapped soap in the oven. I do this with goat and coconut milk.

I use frozen milk too. Leave in freezer overnight (sometimes a whole day) then move to chiller. I once had a milk soap removed from freezer to room temp and it started to gel belatedly.

Btw, anyone has any trick to get less condensation from when the soap defrost?

Yea, I am liking this goat milk thing. Going to make another one tomorrw, just dont know what yet....whatever I do I think I will try GM piping on top

Back