goat milk and salt soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rain_darned_owl

Reaction score
Can I add goats milk to a salt soap? Will it be a waste of goats milk? I want to do one where I mix the salt into the lye/water mix so the salt actually melts (soleseife? I believe) rather than being exfoliating. Was thinking of replacing 1/2 of the water with frozen goats milk and adding it to the lye/water mix after it has cooled down to below 100 F.

My first salt recipe was just 100% coconut oil and 25% salt but this time I am planning to do about 85% coconut oil, 5 - 10% avocado, and 5 - 10% palm oil with 25% salt.

Any thoughts? Am I cray to try this?

you can do this. It is fine to replace your water with milk.
you can freeze.
or do like i do.
eg, if the recipe calls for 12oz water mix 6 oz with lye and the rest with your goats milk. ad the lye water to soap and then add the milk.
make sure all the lye is dissolved and also make sure the milk powder is dissolved in the water. strain the milk to be certian

Soleseife is not the same as a salt bar, so keeping the same terms between them is only going to confuse things.

If you want to make Soleseife, you are going to be a little bit constrained by the amount of things that you can dissolve in a certain amount of water. Even with just water, I think that the limit was 25% salt before you are saturated. It might have been higher, but it isn't overly high. If you are then reducing the water to add milk, you're lowering your salt amount (you can't just use less lye!) maybe even to the point that it can barely be called a Soleseife any more

Soleseife is not the same as a salt bar, so keeping the same terms between them is only going to confuse things.

If you want to make Soleseife, you are going to be a little bit constrained by the amount of things that you can dissolve in a certain amount of water. Even with just water, I think that the limit was 25% salt before you are saturated. It might have been higher, but it isn't overly high. If you are then reducing the water to add milk, you're lowering your salt amount (you can't just use less lye!) maybe even to the point that it can barely be called a Soleseife any more
25% is the most I have been able to dissolve and that is in hot water

I regularly make my salt bars with 100% coconut milk as my liquid. I don't make Soleseife, though- just regular salt bars where the salt granules get added to the soap batter at trace. The milk makes for a lovely salt soap.

IrishLass :)

Thanks everyone!! New plan - I will try a regular salt bar (add salt at trace) with goats milk and also make a soleseife soap without goats milk (as I need all the water to dissolve the salt).

I make regular salt bars (not soleseife) with goat milk. I dissolve the lye in the frozen goat milk and add the salt at trace. No problem at all and the soaps are well liked and some find them milder than regular salt bars. They come out a creamy color rather than stark white like regular (uncolored) salt bars.

Same as Irish Lass and green soap. Lovely 25%
salt bar with 100% frozen GM. Superb bar. I add 5% castor and avocado too.

Back