Goat farmer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotcha. Looking forward to getting my new stick blender so I can use it properly. :)

My very first batch that I made in 2009 ended up full of air bubbles, floating in water, and disappearing quickly. I must have over blended.

TheGecko, I opted not to refrigerate/freeze this time, since it never got above room temp, and I naively thought it would continue to not get above room temp sitting in the mold. Imagine my surprise when I saw the very clear signs of advancing gel phase! (Honestly, it was kind of enchanting to witness.) I can't wait for my new stick blender and other materials to arrive so I can start playing and experimenting and tweaking variables. I will definitely try to stop gel phase in one of my future batches and see how it turns out.

I still admit to some powerful curiosity about sun curing, even if it is just for a few days and rotating the bars. If I experiment with it, I will let y'all know how it turns out in the short run and in the long run.

Goat milk is naturally homogenized. The cream does not rise to the top the way it does in unprocessed cow milk. It will very very slowly rise to the top, taking a week or more to show signs of cream gathering, but even then, only part of the cream is rising. Then you have to beat the hell out of it to separate the butterfat and buttermilk. It is a lot of effort for just a tiny bit of fat. I guess it is just not nearly enough to make soap on its own.

Thanks for the info.

If you get a chance, check out Ellen Ruth Soap on YouTube...she makes a lot of GMS.

Thank you! I will definitely check her out. :)

Hot ****, it's soap!
20200710_103903.jpg

On the subject of using goat's milk for dilution in liquid soap, you can only use water or glycerin to dilute. To use anything else, you would be growing bacteria and yeasts that would lead to spoilage.

Latest posts

Back