Go to recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PARTSBILL

Reaction score
Yesterday during several lulls at work I was putting in numbers in the calculator.

Currently I'm limited to my oils:
Olive
Coconut 76
Lard
Castor
Tallow(soon sometimes this week)
Shea butter(the only thing that saved my cracked heels)
Avocado

I think I really may try this one next. I like the way it looks on paper:
Olive 50
Coconut 35
Castor 10
Shea butter 5

500g total
super fat 5%
lye 27.416%
water 2.6
fragrance 15.5

Any problems with this that the soap calc won't jump up and tell me??

With 50% OO, it may need a bit longer time to cure. Try it at 6 weeks and if it feels slimy let it cure a bit longer - I would check every 2 weeks until it stops feeling slimy.
35% CO may be drying if you have skin issues. I have found that some soaps with more than 30% will cure to be a nice soap for my dry skin, but it takes a long time to get there (at least 6 months from the time that I bought the soap, I always ask the maker when I buy).
10% Castor really isn't needed and doesn't achieve much other than a sticky feeling soap. I think of castor as an enhancer to the other oils, and keep it in the 4-7% range.
5% shea butter really isn't going to add much to your soap by feel. I would take some out of the CO and castor and replace with the shea - such as bumping up shea to 15% and dropping castor to 5, and CO to 30 - I think the higher shea may cut through some of the drying affect of the CO.

This is just my opinion based on how I formulate for my dry skin. If you don't have to worry about that skin issue, then my only concerns would be curing out the sliminess of a higher OO and the stickiness of 10% castor. You could even change up those two, dropping your OO down to 40 and castor to 5 and adding those to the shea. Or just try the recipe and see how it goes! I tried many variations before I found a recipe I was happy with. Keep your batches small and take notes because as soap ages it does change, sometimes a soap recipe I didn't like at 6 weeks was a great soap at 3 months.

You can make a really nice bar of soap with your ingredients. I made soap with 40% Lard, 20% CO, 10% Shea, 5% castor and 25% either olive or avocado or even a split. I don’t use more than 25-30% Olive if I use it as I’m not a fan of high olive oil soaps.

Latest posts

Back