GM Soapers...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you gel?

• Yes-Gel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No-Gel

• Yes-Gel

• Total voters

SimplyE

Reaction score
I am curious to see if those who make goat milk soap gel their soap or not. Those who use all GM for liquid and not just just add powder at the end.

Thanks!

I did not vote because I do both. For my OMH bars, one scented and the other unscented and higher conditioning value, I do not gel. Also, if I have a scent that I definately want the color to stay the same as I poured it, I do not gel. I like the looks of them better not gelled. I don't know any other description other than creamier. But, I do gel GM soaps that I want a deeper color to swirl or add color to. I like the deeper color by gelling. I edited this so much while I was writing it, it is probably not going to make sense.

I agree, you need to add another choice of BOTH. I have done both. I also dissolve my lye with the min water and then add the rest GM after oils and lye are combined. I don't have a problem with color that way...

I gel all my soaps, GM or not. :) I do 100% GM soaps with the min. amount of water needed to mix with lye, and then I add the rest of my liquid amount as fresh GM (to which has been dissolved enough GM powder to make a 100% GM solution for my whole batch) to my oils. I voted yes because even if I added all fresh GM, mixing it with my lye (what your poll is based on, and how I used to do GM soaps in the past), I would still gel (and gelled back then, too).

IrishLass :)

i do both too depending too. For regular gm, i like the look of ungelled. If I add honey, I'm not going to try to prevent gel cause it's pointless.

I should have added both, but I really wanted to get an opinion on what you "usually" do. I agree that with some you want to do either/or, especially those with honey :D

Sorry to be so vague! I would love more input from all you GM'ers!

I have gelled all of mine , I like the look of gelled soap better (this week ) :wink:

Kitn

I am relatively new to soap making...been at it for a few months now and I prefer to prevent gel on my soap. I like the creamy look I get from preventing the gel stage. I have done it both ways and when it gels, it always gets dark on me and I think cosmetically it looks less appealing to buyers, but I havent personally noticed any change in the way it preforms. I love it both ways.

Full gel for me. I put the top on some others, like florals and hot FO's, I leave the top off. I want the soap to gel and encourage it. I do after gel, cool the log as fast as I can by turning 2 fans on it. I add powdered sugar to my batches also.

Gelling is for me. :wink:

Paul :wink:

I put down that I don't gel however, I got a deep mould a couple of weeks ago and I let my first GM soap made in that, gel. Not sure whether I like it yet as it just seems so "rubbery" compared to what I normally get.

Rosey said:
i do both too depending too. For regular gm, i like the look of ungelled. If I add honey, I'm not going to try to prevent gel cause it's pointless.

Rosey, I never gelled the GM, oats and honey soap I made. I didn't stop it from gelling either, it just didn't. Maybe because I was using the shallow MW tray moulds or the individual MW moulds?

I gel,but I only do GM in individual moulds.I love the way they look as they tan up.Would be a little nervous of overheating in a log mould anyhow so stick with my gm roses.

Well, I've made a whopping one batch of GM soap! I put it in a 3 lb log mould, put the lid on it and left it for 24 hours. I dunno if it gelled or not (it was my second batch ever). And FWIW, my GM is straight from the G.

At this stage in my soap-making career, it's a bit like the Rum-Tum-Tugger - "it will do as it do do, and there's no doing anything about it!" :lol:

Back