Glycerine for Water Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egirlxx7

Reaction score
On soaping 101 channel she makes a liquid glycerine Castile soap. I punched in the amounts into the SBM calculator.

13oz Olive oil, 1.5 Coconut, 1.5 castor, the water amount given from SBM says to use 3oz KOH and 10oz of water.

The recipe given from 101 says to use 3oz of KOH and 6oz of glycerine. and using the same amounts of oils as listed above.

Is this amount lower because its glycerine or is this because there is a discount being taken because its not water???.

I have made this soap before as/ the original recipe, but I want to try this again and but I make my own with a better understanding as to why this is if i formulate my own.

When I made it previously I could not use the soap right away, I had to let the paste sit for over a week before it could dilute it and use it.

Last edited:
I use more glycerin than her recipe calls for. If I don't the soap paste gets too thick too fast. It also take longer to neutralize if you use less glycerin.

Well you really don't add anything to neutralize the paste. I test my paste with Phenol drops. Put a little paste on a paper towel and put a few drops of Phenol on the paste. If it tests clear then it is ready to go, if not, let the paste set until the Phenol doesn't turn pink when applied to the paste. I have found that if use more glycerin I don't have as long a waiting period. Go down to post#17 by Babs. This is the method I use.

http://forums.debbiemay.com/index.php?/topic/8232-wow-learning-curve-for-liquid-soap-making/

Last edited:
I would like to try making liquid soap too. When you talk about neutralizing it, what exactly does that entail?

As best as I can put it......would be to say that if you are using water as your base liquid when making Liquid Soap, you will need to neutralize your soap when the cook is finished. This way any excess alkali is neutralized by your solution of borax or citric acid

For soaps made with the glycerine base method you will not need to neutralize the soap.

If anyone can make it clearer, please do..:D

Also, thank lsg, for the link the text is helpful in its explanation.

E.

Last edited:
There is a very popular book which explains the full details for anyone who wishes to go into liquid soap making. I often refer to it myself as I consider myself "new" to liquid soap.

Catherine Failor (author)
Making Natural liquid Soaps. (book)

Here is a link to blog, who uses the Failor method, and explains neutralizing.

http://chickensintheroad.com/house/crafts/how-to-make-liquid-soap/

you can ctrl+f and search neutralize

I've bought Catherine Failor's book and had a read of it but I'm wondering about colour, the LS I have made using Soaping101's recipe, the finished soap is a amber colour, how would i get it colourless?

Back