Glycerine based lotion recipe question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodybym

Reaction score
I recently had surgery and while I was in the hospital and they gave me this glycerine based lotion to use, and I love it. I can't seem to find any recipes for anything like it, and was wondering if anyone here had ever tried to make something like it? Here are the inredients:

Active Ingredients: Dimethicone 6%

Inactive Ingregients: Gllycerin; (Purified) Water (USP); Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl Alcohol; Isopropyl Palmitate; Ethylhexyl Palmitate; PEG-5 Ditrimethylolpropane Tetrahydroxystearate; PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate; Phenoxyethanol (and) DMDM Hydantoin (and) Methylparaben (and) Propylparaben

Thank you,
Merryn

Yes Susan blog is good but she does not advice this kind of chemicals. Please, copy each name and google it.

It sounds like the ingredients in Sween cream, a product that I love. The last few ingredients connected with the term "and" have to do with preservatives. Dimethicone is a non-volatile oil soluble silicone. PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate is the INCI term for Crothix, a thickener, Ditrimethylolpropane Tetrahydroxystearate is a vegetable based replacement for lanolin. I believe that PEG-5 is a polyethylene glycol ester. Ethylhexyl Palmitate is an emollient ester. Isopropyl palmitate is an ester. Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl Alcoho or BTMS 25%, is a conditioning emulsifier.

Susan explains the use of most of these ingredients, that is why I say look on her blog concerning creating lotions and creams. You can also look up terms such as ester, emollient, etc. in her blog to see what they contribute. Then you can start experimenting with small batches.

It sounds like the ingredients in Sween cream, a product that I love.

It is Sween. I did google the ingredients, and have made some lotion from scratch, and am comfortable with the process. I was mostly wondering if someone here had tried to replicate it.

I will try my hand at it today and let you know how I did.

Back