Glycerine based extracts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinkiwi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the midst of trying to formulate a HP bar soap or three that will encorporate some plant extracts. The problem is that the extracts are only available as glycetracts/glycerin based ones.
I'm thinking of using them at around 1% of the soap weight but I'm not sure on what effect the glycerin will have on the soap.

Would anyone be able to fire some info on such things my way?

Thanks,

Kleinkiwi

Not only will it make your soap sticky, too much glycerine will make your soap pliable and soft.

So if you use these at 1%, I suggest you try it using a small sized recipe to start AND a very high lye concentration (less water) to make up for the added moisture the additives bring to the soap. Try a 40% lye concentration in a 1 pound recipe, then with only 1% being your glycerin based additive, it should be okay, I think. Also for this test recipe, use one that is higher in hard oils. That is my suggestions so you don't end up with a too soft bar of soap.

ETA: I made soap using too much glycerin in my color mixtures and the soap is very soft and bendy. I am slowly rebatching it and incorporating it into mixes with new soap to use it up. I did NOT follow my own advice of testing something new using a small batch. :think:

Last edited:
Not only will it make your soap sticky, too much glycerine will make your soap pliable and soft.

So if you use these at 1%, I suggest you try it using a small sized recipe to start AND a very high lye concentration (less water) to make up for the added moisture the additives bring to the soap. Try a 40% lye concentration in a 1 pound recipe, then with only 1% being your glycerin based additive, it should be okay, I think. Also for this test recipe, use one that is higher in hard oils. That is my suggestions so you don't end up with a too soft bar of soap.

ETA: I made soap using too much glycerin in my color mixtures and the soap is very soft and bendy. I am slowly rebatching it and incorporating it into mixes with new soap to use it up. I did NOT follow my own advice of testing something new using a small batch. :think:
I use glycerin for all my colorants, but it is true it has to be used in small amounts and the colorants mixed very thick, or you do not end up with a nice bar of soap. They will be sticky, weepy, soft etc.

You can't take 1 % of the other oils away and substitute the glycerine - see DeeAnna's post below.

Personally botanicals drive me batty in soap because the are scratchy and make a mess in the shower.

Last edited:
Glycerin doesn't saponify, so I don't think it would be wise to substitute glycerin in place of fat -- you're basically changing the recipe. I hope I'm following your thought correctly, PenelopeJane.

Glycerin doesn't saponify, so I don't think it would be wise to substitute glycerin in place of fat -- you're basically changing the recipe. I hope I'm following your thought correctly, PenelopeJane.

Ah Susie did tell me that but I still didn't get the full implication of that!! Good to know, thank you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back