Glycerin versus propylene glycol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allane

Reaction score
Why will some formulations use glycerin and others require propylene glycol or a mixture of both? Is one better than the other?

Shunt2011 I have been making soap for ages but my customers are requesting for lotion. I am trying to read all I can before I start. Any information Will be appreciated.

Grace

Yes, Swift Crafty Monkey has a ton of great info on lotion making and in-depth posts on a number of ingredients which can be used in homemade products. Also, I found Anne Watson's Smart Lotion Making to be really helpful.
In response to your original question, I use glycerin in lotions. I have never used propylene glycol.

Thanks for all the replies. I went to the link given and found lots of helpful information. I have a lot of homework ahead of me.

Personally, I don't use either. I use honey as the humectant in the lotions I make. There are other humectants available, IPM comes to mind. Glycerin pulls water from the air to moisturize the skin. If there is little moisture in the air, as in our Alpine Desert Climate here in Colorado, it takes moisture from the skin. Yee-ouch! I don't use propylene glycol either -- I get a bad reaction to it. I know others who avoid using PG. I need to check on why that is. It's certainly used in a lot of products.

Back