Glycerin turning into what looks like instant mashed potatoes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to make another batch today and change the lye to glycerin ratio. My batch I made before that never turned clear was great for laundry soap. Does it effect the quality of the soap if it's "not clear??" Having the soap clear isn't as important to me as if it's good soap. I used soaping 101 recipe before. I really like the convenience of this liquid soap . I used it for floors, washing my hair, showering, dishes, laundry.

I am going to make another batch today and change the lye to glycerin ratio. My batch I made before that never turned clear was great for laundry soap. Does it effect the quality of the soap if it's "not clear??" Having the soap clear isn't as important to me as if it's good soap. I used soaping 101 recipe before. I really like the convenience of this liquid soap . I used it for floors, washing my hair, showering, dishes, laundry.

If the recipe you're using is meant to test clear then I would make sure it tested clear before using it. At the very least a PH test is in order to make sure it is in fact cooked thoroughly.

If it doesn't test clear then there is a chance that there are unsaponified fatty acids left in the soap and that can lead to rancidity and a harsher soap.

Easy way to test for clarity is to dissolve 1 oz paste in 2 oz boiling water and then let it cool. If the soap is still clear when it's cool then it's finished cooking.

If the recipe you're using is meant to test clear then I would make sure it tested clear before using it. At the very least a PH test is in order to make sure it is in fact cooked thoroughly.

If it doesn't test clear then there is a chance that there are unsaponified fatty acids left in the soap and that can lead to rancidity and a harsher soap.

Easy way to test for clarity is to dissolve 1 oz paste in 2 oz boiling water and then let it cool. If the soap is still clear when it's cool then it's finished cooking.
Due to the SF in my Castile LS it is not clear unless I use glycerin. A higher SF can result in cloudiness. I SF my LS at a 3% A little cloudiness can be normal however you do not want a white milky looking soap

I just made this exact recipe from Soapmaking 101 without reading this post and my paste tested clear and my finished product is an amber color which is fine with me but it really has not thickened at all after after diluting it 3:1 as recommended and letting it cook for about 10 hours in crock pot. I know it can probably be thickened but I am not sure with what??????

bumping up an old thread.

i just made my 1st LS and after dilution the soap is still too thin. thinking of adding some xanthan gum (that's the only thickener i have. i don't wanna use salt). does anyone know how much to add?

also, from what i've read, you are supposed to mix the gum with some glycerin first to dissolve it, and then add it to your water phase. am i correct?

bumping up an old thread.

i just made my 1st LS and after dilution the soap is still too thin. thinking of adding some xanthan gum (that's the only thickener i have. i don't wanna use salt). does anyone know how much to add?

also, from what i've read, you are supposed to mix the gum with some glycerin first to dissolve it, and then add it to your water phase. am i correct?

This is an entirely different topic. I would start a new thread regarding this question. Hopefully someone will have your answer for you!

Back