Glycerin tracks?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayte

Reaction score
Hi all, I would like to ask what you think is the cause of the different opacities in the soap at different spots? I've had this happened before a couple of times but this time, it seems to be a circular pattern even though I've only poured the soap and did no swirling. I used this recipe before and the only difference for this batch was that I poured at lighter trace. Are they the 'glycerin rivers'? Your view is much appreciated, thank you!

Cheers!

image.jpg

Last edited:
It does look like glycerin rivers. Did this batch have a nice even gel? If it was not spread out like that I would say it also looks like partial gelling, or that it got too hot at one point.
Did you use TD?
Did you use full water?
Did you Gel?
The experts will come in in a minute. If it helps it is probably just an asthetic issue.

ETA- the more I look at it the more it looks like it gelled and maybe over heated.
Glycerin rivers usually have a more cracked appearance.

Last edited:
Looks to me to be either a partial gel or a FO that didn't get fully mixed in. Cut just a hair early too ( I do that).
Since it was a lighter trace than usual it probably gelled from the bottom towards the center from the look of it. But that doesn't explain why the center most part didn't gel. :think:

I don't think its glycerin rivers or partial gel. To me, it looks like steric streaks, any chance you used palm oil? If a oil with high steric (like palm) cools unevenly, it can make streaks like that. I used to lways get it when I used palm, stopped happening as soon as I switched to lard.

This is the last batch I ever made with palm. Its a uncolored base with a blue swirl, the bright white areas are steric streaks.
28henmp.jpg

I never use Palm so maybe that is why I haven't seen it either. I learn so much on this board. Over 2 years soaping and I know I have so much more to learn.
I think that is why Soaping never gets boring!

I can see how the uncolored base looks like glycerin rivers but those will be thinner and generally have a cracked appearance. The bar shows the rivers on one half, the darker, somewhat transparent bits are the rivers. Also, both phenomenon are harmless, they are purely cosmetic.

DSC9533.jpg

Thank you so much! I have learnt a lot on this forum too. Thanks so much Obsidian. Yeah I agree.. I thought it didn't look quite like her usual Glycerin Rivers but just had no idea what it was. Yes I use palm oil but I'm experimenting with no-palm but vegan recipes.

And thank you Dana89 for the 'first aid'!

Latest posts

Back