Glycerin soap, KOH won't dissolve completely?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tresbiansoap

Reaction score
Making bastille soap 75% olive oil, 20% coco, 5% castor oil yesterday.
And try to use full glycerin to make lye solution, but KOH won't dissolve completely even after one hour.

Please don't dissolve KOH in pure glycerin. Yes, I know -- some people do it this way -- but this method is a serious safety risk and does not make better soap.

Dissolve the KOH in an equal weight of water. Do this at room temperature -- do not heat this mixture. I want to stress that heat is not required when dissolving KOH in water. Add enough glycerin so the total weight of glycerin + water equals the total "water" weight called for in the recipe. That will give you the most glycerin with the most safety.

Please don't dissolve KOH in pure glycerin. Yes, I know -- some people do it this way -- but this method is a serious safety risk and does not make better soap.

Dissolve the KOH in an equal weight of water. Do this at room temperature -- do not heat this mixture. I want to stress that heat is not required when dissolving KOH in water. Add enough glycerin so the total weight of glycerin + water equals the total "water" weight called for in the recipe. That will give you the most glycerin with the most safety.

I see. That's about what is right.

Yes, I notice about the heat. Dissolving KOH with water will already have so much heat. I was too greedy on glycerin (wishing to add much more moisture soap), will stick to the way you stated in the future. :tub:

Thank you DeeAnna :)

Latest posts

Back